Double IPA | Amherst Brewing Co.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Amherst Brewing Co.
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by ppoitras on 04-16-2006

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 8
Reviews by CoolJosh:
4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Was traded this by Jagger himself at the Frambozen release. Huge thanks John, it was great meeting you.

The beer was poured from a 1L bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very hazy rusty orange/dark copper. There is very little head retention, and a light yellow ring floats on top through out the life of the glass. I typically like IIPAs to be less hazy with better head retention.

The smell is fairly subdued, which I will attribute to the lack of head. My nose is still able to gather some light grapefruit, oats, and some biscuit malt, producing a bread-like scent.

WOW!! I nearly fell out of my chair. This tastes incredible. Great grapefruit taste, with some light lemon and orange in the background. I'm definitely picking up a pleasant amount of centennial hops, and the 2 other C's seem to be replaced by some light simcoe hops which are adding really nicely to the grapefruit flavor. I'm also guessing that Nugget hops were pitched as well, for the citrus in this beer is truly outstanding. This is just half the beer! The malt complexion is just as well done and adds a perfect balance to this highly drinkable beer. A lot of honey flavors, some nice caramel, and I'm guessing some biscuit malts were used as well which produce the bread-like flavors that lie in the background of each sip. Tons of oats, this is the creamiest low gravity IIPA that I have tasted.

My only qualm with the mouthfeel is the lack of carbonation, but honestly this was small potatoes as I enjoy creamy hopped beers.

Great offering John!! I will be looking to trade for another one of these once thing settle down and I have the funds to trade again.

Cheers,
Josh

2.12/5  rDev -45.5%

This must be a big seller so freshness could not be an issue. C hop aroma, small head and lace in the glass, OK so far. Grapefruit taste but dry, chemical taste, terrible something gone wrong in a chemical factory aftertaste.Incredibly dissapointing double.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

In terms of BA ratings this one is an oddity. Not an overly hopped DIPA, really its a dIPA, not too big of a hop presence, but hoppy enough. At 7.5%, could barely be considered a "big" beer, but nonetheless pretty darn good.

Menu boast of a gold at some international beer fest, could be deserving in the IPA category, but in no way is this a BIG beer. Very tasty though, fruity, hoppy, bitter, fresh. All makes for a well-balanced beer.

ABC, as I've mentioned, seriously underrated by the local: get the acclaim nationwide.... do I live in beersnobsville?

Rated it a '5" in drinkability....just because. BTW. Named Seeing Double

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Thanks Jagger for this extra! Poured out of a blue 1L bottle.
Although John brewed this beer, I am dead set on giving a completely unbiased review.

A: hazy dark Golden Amber with a thin white head

S: I get some piney and grassy hops up front, with a hint of citrus in the background. There is also a nice caramel aroma coming out as it warms up a bit. I wish it would have more tropical fruit and citrus.

T: Very nice flavors of lemon, pineapple, mint, and an earthiness. Not the typical flavors of a DIPA, but I'm really digging it.

M: A touch on the thin side for the style, but the carbonation level is spot on.

D: I drank the whole 1 Liter bottle in no time at all - very delicious.

Overall this is a very nice East Coast style DIPA, but with the earthiness and herbal qualities, different than I'm used to - and that's a good thing. Nice work John!

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Big thanks goes out to John (Jagger) for this one. This comes in a beautiful blue glass swing top bottle with a great aesthetic label of ABC. Poured into two pint glasses...

A: A: Pours a glowing golden copper yielding a slight white head. The head is rather small, but it sticks like glue and laces well down the entire glass. A thin film of head remains throughout the entire experience. Some slight carbonation creeps up the side of the glass for the entire duration as well.

S: Fabulous. Incredibly fresh Centennial citrus and spice hops in the scent. Not bitter, not malty, but very fresh. The citrus hops dominate, but pine and grassy notes come in at the end and balance the hop profile well. For a DIPA, this one does not smell as malty as most, which I prefer.

T: Very, very good. For a guy who prefers his DIPAs to be more hoppy than malty, this one was a hit for me. The hops are uber fresh and balance very well against the two row barley. Not much Munich/caramel malt backing, but the hops pretty much take over anyway with great C hop profiles.

M: The mouthfeel is nice and creamy, with the carbonation being on the low side.

D: I drank this during the Penguins game 6 win, and let's just say I wish I could drink another during game 7. Thanks again John!

Double IPA from Amherst Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.