Madness & Reason #2

From:
Hill Farmstead Brewery

Vermont, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Base: Imperial Stout.

Additions: Vanilla, Cocoa nibs and coconut.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 10 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

This is the one, the stout I have to hold all others to now.

Other breweries can jump on the "Milkshake" bandwagon and pump out lactose IPAs/stouts all day but it's all a farce next to just how close this gets to a milkshake. I'm a bit of a sucker for nitro beers as it is but even mouthfeel aside this is just perfection. I'll probably never get to see this again but man oh man am I glad I got to try this and Art on the same day, couldn't have asked for a better Hill Farm experience.

Plain and simple this is the best beer I've ever had, grab a pour if you ever have the opportunity.

4.83/5  rDev +2.5%

I had a 10 oz or so pour at the brewery last week. I am pretty sure it was #2 based on the description. I did not get the coconut, but I did get lots of vanilla. There is not too much to say about this stout since it is so good in every way. The beer was fresh, black, had a nice thin khaki head, and was an absolution pleasure to sip outside at the picnic table. The vanilla was in the forefront, but the roasted malt base balanced it very well.

4.84/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Dark brown with frothy tan head. On nitro, highly carbonated.
Smell: Mocha, tobacco, vanilla, with a little coconut.
Taste: Mocha, milk chocolate, tobacco, vanilla, with a little coconut to top
It off.
Mouthfeel: Light and creamy.
Overall: A subtle adjunct stout that really works.

Tasted 5 oz. pour on draft at HF on Thursday, June 28.
A - Pours dark with thick form head. I took my time sipping this and the head never reduced.
S - Wonderful aroma of chocolate, vanilla and coconut. This is one of those beers that you keep sniffing because you can't believe it smells so good.
T - Closest thing I've had to a beer milkshake. Flavors are well balanced, and while it is sweet, its not too sweet. What a treat!
M - Thick and rich.
O - Great tasting experience, the best desert beer I've ever had. I asked if they intended to bottle this, and I was told the flavors hold up best on draft so no plans to bottle. So you gotta make the drive to Hill Farmstead if you want to try this one.

4.79/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

At the brewery, this 5 oz. pour in a tasting glass looks like a layered chocolate dessert at first and then, if you can wait for the nitro to work its magic, comes together like a chocolate milkshake. Nose of cocoa, slight vanilla, and a bit of coconut. Taste follows the nose with mocha as well. The feel perfectly caresses your palate. Hope to have another pour next time I'm out there!

Madness & Reason #2 from Hill Farmstead Brewery