40 Mile To The Border IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
40 Mile To The Border IPA40 Mile To The Border IPA
Notes: This collaboration was born in a meeting between the brewers here at O’Connor Brewing Company discussing who they thought made some of the best beer in Virginia. The first place that came to my mind was Three Notch’d Brewing Company in Charlottesville... I was always impressed with Three Notch’d as a whole, good atmosphere, good people, and great beer. When Kevin said to reach out to them, I literally ran to my desk eager at the chance to work with such a solid brewer, Dave Warwick. Being a self-proclaimed collaboration junkie, Dave seemed to be as excited about working together as I was. He came down for a visit to Norfolk and we bounced around a few ideas, nothing seemed to jump out right away. He then mentioned an idea that was stewing in his mind for a while, “What if we took two existing beers and made them into one new beer?” Maybe it was the fact that he had wanted to do it for some time, or maybe he was waiting for the right handsome fellow to come around. Thus “40 Mile to the Border” was created, a melding of their flagship IPA “40 Mile” and ours “El Guapo.” The result is a tasty brew showcasing the fruity character of the El Dorado hop and the sweet, slightly spicy character of agave. We hope you enjoy this creation as much as we have enjoyed creating it for you.
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11
4.18/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: This poured a hazy gold with thick white head.
S: It smelled like fresh nectarines and pineapple, with some guava and wild honey. Maybe some prickly pear?
T: It tasted like grapefruit and nectarines, with some pineapple and wild honey. Maybe some kiwi. It had a clean bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was wetter with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a great unique IPA with tropical scent and taste that was well balanced. The body was ok, and the finish was smooth, so it was really easy to drink. I haven't tried either of the beers that this collaboration is based on, but the results are a clear success where so many other collaborations have failed. Fantastic.

3.81/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good. I like both of the breweries and I thought this would be a good chance for them to show what they got. Approachable beer like most things they do. I'd recommend it.

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a clear golden orange body with two finger head that left lace patches down glass. The aroma is mostly citric hops and there is this dry, grainy, cracker like malt base that I pick up. Light bodied IPA that is sharp/crisp with a blend of citric (orange), earthy hops that have some tropical fruit flavors and give off a little sweetness. Finishes dry and overall the beer is mostly a dry, citrusy IPA with hints of other flavors/sweetness.

3.78/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can(ned 6/17/2015):
Pours a nice, clear orange/copper, with an ok amount of head. The white bubbles do lats, however, film half-covering the surface and a thin ring around the edge.

Nose is floral, with a citrus and tart tropical fruit bite on the side. Tangerine, tangelo, mango, some grapefruit make up the fruit side. I mention those first because they are more recognizeable. They are equally balanced by a flower/nectar-like scent I can't place, but which I assume is the agave, along with a honey-like sweetness. Very interesting nose, at least.

The taste doesn't quite live up to me. The beer is fairly heavy on the malt side, with a honey biscuit like opening to the beer. The floral note (agave?) makes a fleeting appearance before the beer starts to balance out with some lightly pithy cirtus notes. Feel is medium body, but the carbonation could show up a bit more.

This beer had some potential. I think a little more bitterness is necessary and a bit more of the notes from the nose coming through in the taste would have this closer to outstanding that good.

40 Mile To The Border IPA from O'Connor Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 87 out of 100 with 11 ratings