Pale Ale

Awful
Pale AlePale Ale
Notes: None
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
3.88/5  rDev +87.4%
by JamieDuncan from Maryland

Gluten Free Pales and IPAs are a struggle. These are not easy brews to make. This is one of the best I have had as it would be an pretty good beer if you did not know it was gluten free. Overall I believe they did a very good job on this brew.

Jun 02, 2022

2.88 by VelvetExtract from Massachusetts on Jan 22, 2022

2.5 by wilfonzo from Florida on Jun 20, 2021

2.75 by DerwinWentworth from Utah on May 10, 2021
2.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25
by smcolw from Massachusetts

Crystal clear color of light gold. Brief one-finger head. Absolutely zero lacing on the glass.

The smell is dry malt with a caramel touch. There's a bit of cardboard to the nose as well.

High carbonation level with not enough body to balance it. Despite this, this beer is too sweet, cloy even. There are overtones of apricot and caramel, but it isn't appealing--too dessert like. The hop is nearly nonexistent which is unfortunate since this beer needs balance. Think double bock without the body or rich malt presence. A clear miss.

Mar 14, 2021

2.49 by FrancisM12 from New Jersey on Jan 01, 2021
by WettNutz from Indiana

If a 0 was possible, I would have given it such. This is easily one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. I had to actually pour it down the sink, and I think it worked better as a drain cleaner than a beer. Don't waste your money.

Sep 16, 2016

1.06 by allentownpaguy from Pennsylvania on Aug 27, 2016

2.95 by StephOparka from Colorado on May 16, 2016

1.3 by redfish2942 from South Carolina on Apr 16, 2016

1.47 by butlerr from Oklahoma on Feb 24, 2016
1.24/5  rDev -40.1%
by Noatak from District of Columbia

Awful. Tastes like plastic. Oh my god was this bad. Like pour it out bad. I can't even cook with this stuff. Avoid at all costs.

Sep 14, 2015

1 by nathanmiller from New York on Aug 03, 2015
2.06/5  rDev -0.5%
by -ronin- from Florida

It looks nice, but not a solid GF option.

May 21, 2015
1.51/5  rDev -27.1%
by thehardwoodsessions from Maryland

No thanks. Really strange. I need more words but I can't

Feb 24, 2015
2.69/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75
by craeh7

Very carbonated. Nice GF substitute. But there are much better options if you are not gluten intolerant.

Feb 15, 2015
1.4/5  rDev -32.4%
by Wer34truh from Minnesota

At least it looks nice...Taste is awful, among the worst beers I've tasted. Definitely the worst beer I've had considering the price-point. I don't know if I should be sad of the fact that I paid $8 for four of them, or if I should be happy that I only have three left.

Jan 16, 2015
1.58/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5
by Boone757 from Virginia

Was hoping for better here, since is a gluten free beer. But just found it really undrinkable.

Dec 24, 2014

4 by newbeeraday from Pennsylvania on Nov 15, 2014
2.12/5  rDev +2.4%
by beergoot from Colorado

Bottle label data: none.

A thick, rocky, white head sits atop a golden body while fine carbonation bubbles furiously rise to the top. An interesting aroma of pine, peppermint, and grass; pepper. Powerful, pungent taste like plastic and sour citrus; very bitter. Medium bodied; juicy and slick feel.

My god! How can a beer that looks, smells, and feels so decent have such an off-putting flavor? The flavor is nothing like a pale ale and instead presents an amped version of a bad mix of grapefruit and lime juice. Out of whack (taste-wise) and extremely forgettable unless you just want to look at it...

Nov 15, 2014

1 by Coorsy from Massachusetts on Oct 18, 2014
by Rifugium from North Dakota

Gluten-free beer....totally pointless. But I picked up a bottle anyway.

Poured into a handy teku glass, a darker amber color, with a thin bubbly white head that held as a small ringlet. Nose was mostly subdued, hints of herbal hops and sugary sweetness. In the taste, up front, there was a light flavor of herbal hops, like dried leaves, with a big wave of candy-like sweetness coming in soon after, and lingering into the aftertaste. Tasted more like beer-flavored seltzer. Mouthfeel was thin, body was light-medium.

Gluten sensitivity has pretty much been proven a myth except for the small amount of people with that disease/disorder, so there's really only a small number of people who would actually need a gluten-free beer. Hopefully there's one out there somewhere that tastes good to help out those people that actually want to enjoy the craft beer scene.

Sep 23, 2014

1 by XmnwildX12 from Minnesota on Jul 31, 2014

2.25 by TheBeerdedCharmer from Pennsylvania on Jul 30, 2014
2.63/5  rDev +27.1%
by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "Ale made from sorghum and brown rice extract"; "new Palnet Beer chooses to support organizations that help our planet."

I am being driven nuts by these gluten-free beers! I realize that I am not their intended audience since I do not have Celiac, but they just make me feel like drinking a beer after I drink one. My easy-going pour still created a LOT of foam, so I sat back to let it do its thing. It burped, fizzled, off-gassed and generally acted like a baby, except that I have encountered better-behaved babies. It finally settled into a brief finger of rocky, tawny head that was determined to fizzle into wisps. Color was a tea-like deep amber/light copper to copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a flowery, perfume-like sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. There was no question that this beer contained sorghum once I got some in my mouth. Man, but it imparts a really sharp tartness that might appeal to some people, but for me, it was just not what I want to taste in a beer. I find it kind of difficult to describe, but it is like a diluted molasses with apple vinegar. Woof! Finish was dry, tart, not much unlike other gluten-free beers, but just not my bag.

Jul 27, 2014

2.75 by timmy2b from New York on Jun 08, 2014

2.25 by Latarnik from New Jersey on May 31, 2014
1.29/5  rDev -37.7%
by diggydoo from Connecticut

This looks like a decent glass of beer with a slightly dark, coppery coloring and a decent head. That is where the positives end unfortunately. The taste is metallic, artificial and incredibly unlike how a beer should taste. It is also proceed like a premium beer which adds insult to injury. If I were gluten free I would gladly give up beer if this were my only choice. Fortunately there are others like Omission IPA that, while not fantastic, are palatable.

May 22, 2014