HOPism

Notes:
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 28 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
burnstar from Pennsylvania

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a really great double IPA. Pours a pretty dark hazy orangish gold. Small head but nice lacing. Smell is citrusy and floral hops but you can smell the big caramel malt too. Taste is great- big hops but also big rich malt balancing it out. Even the touch of warm booziness just enhances everything. I also like the mouthfeel of this one, strong carbonation tilts it toward refreshing, although it's obviously still a full bodied and heavy beer. The best I've had from nearby Full Pint brewery.

Sep 02, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

Welcome to my continuing delving into Hoppy New Full Pint Sunday (Week 704)! This serves to dual purpose of creating this week's theme as well as continuing the eradication of The Bottle Backlog at Chez Woody. The latter is actually a finite proposition as I am buying fewer & fewer bottles anyway.

From the Bottle: "Beer Nerd Stats: OG: 20.9// 11.1% ABV // 100+ IBU Malts: Pale, British Light Crystal Hops: Chinook, Summit, Centennial, Amarillo, Citra".

Wow! What a lineup of Malts & Hops! These homestate heroes are really winning me over today. I was so anxious to Pop! the cap that I was almost to the beery equivalent of chain-smoking: using the last bottle to open the next one! I could definitely see some lees that had flocculated onto the punt in this one, so I was extra-cautious & extra-gentle on my pour. I gave it an in-glass swirl to raise two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with good retention that left nice lacing in its wake. Color was solid Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pine tar, orange peels and a modicum of boozy heat, just to ensure that it really got my attention. Phew! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but not as big or as creamy as the previous two. This one simply meant to get down to business. The taste was all business & no foolin' around! It had a pronounced orange/tangerine citrusiness backed up by a much lighter pine presence & then … WHAM! The alcohol rush was like a kick inna teeth! Phew. I rocked back, not having expected that kind of assertive punch. Suddenly, I was wide awake, like the late-night driver who nearly goes off of the road on a nod & then jolts into consciousness. This f**ker was daring me to finish the bottle's contents! Guess what, buddy boy. NBS only comes once a week & you can rest assured that the quit factor in this kid is rather low! I pressed on, but man, the booziness was beginning to have a cumulative effect on me. I really liked that the citrusiness was more orange-y/ tangerine-ish than the usual grapefruit 'cause I was not ready for that kind of onslaught. This was the embodiment of Tom Wolfe's Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline, Baby! Man, I was flying! Like a kite, dig? I loved the semi-sweetness of the tangerine-orange flavor backed by a pine-driven minty coolness or I might not have seen the finish line on this drag race, daddy-o. Man, we were racing for pinks so there was no turning back now! I was now in 4th gear anyway, so I floored the gas pedal & rocketed towards the finish line. Finish was a blur with people bailing out, L, R & C, but I was a winner, man & so was this bad boy. It was hot & dry, just like the Mojave Desert on which we raced. Man, I'm kinda bummed - I won, but I'm outta gas. How am I gonna get back to PA?!? Maybe another of these & I can fly the friendly skies all on my own. Wow! I'll send yinz a picture postcard so yinz can see for yerselves.

Aug 20, 2018
Stinkypuss from Pennsylvania

4.01/5  rDev +1%

Pours a rich orangish color with a soapy head that laces the glass well. The aroma was dank, piney and tropical with some pineapple and mango aroma. The taste has pine, mango and papaya which is quite nice and tasty. Full bodied and well carbonated. Resinous hops with bitterness and mild tropical elements, this beer is a winner.

Apr 02, 2016
trygelski1 from Pennsylvania

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle poured into tulip glass:

Look: Pours a nice hazy orange with about an inch of head with lacing present.

Smell: Big notes of grapefruit along with orange and pine.

Taste: Pine, grapefruit, orange, citrus, and some bitterness comes in at the end.

Feel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Very solid imperial IPA. This beer by far is the best thing that I have had from Full Pint. I was luck to snag a few bottles of this limited brew.

Mar 12, 2016
Cylinsier from Pennsylvania

3.96/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz.

Pours a hazy juicy orange. White film for a head.

Smells of orange and grapefruit citrus with a fresh grapefruit hoppy finish.

Tastes of citrus, dry bready malts, crackers, and piney hops. Light fruit rind bitterness in the end.

Medium to full body with stinging carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

Very pretty and aromatic IPA with a taste that is mostly good but has an off-putting aftertaste. Had potential to be excellent but this drags it down to just very good. Worth a grab since it is limited.

Mar 04, 2016
Omnium from Pennsylvania

3.97/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Butler street
A. Cloudy gold with a two finger fluffy white head with thick lacing
S. Dank pine and citrus very classic West coast kind of smell, some herbal notes.
T. Sweet caramel, orange candy pine, hop resin, citrus peel.
M. Clean and balanced for its abv, extremely drinkable
O . Wayyyyy better than tripa so drinkable for its size

Feb 19, 2016