Once Upon A Time In The Far East

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Once Upon A Time In The Far EastOnce Upon A Time In The Far East
Notes: Imperial stout brewed with cold-brewed Vietnamese coffee.
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Once Upon a Time in the East pours a very pleasant deep brown, verging on pitch black. It has an excellent lightly roasty coffee nose. Like most Vietnamese coffee, it lacks that harsh, acidic bitterness - it's quite smooth. There's also a slight dark fruity aroma to the beer, at least while cold. This dissipates significantly as the beer warms - thankfully, as it's really not my thing in a stout.

Much like a Vietnamese style coffee with condensed milk, the taste is quite rich, creamy, and sweet. As compared with the much lighter ABV Moon Bear, Once Upon a Time is slightly thinner, and isn't quite so filling - tastes lower in lactose and consequently a little easier, at least for me, to drink. I like this significantly more as a sipper. I don't think that I could drink more than one Moon Bear at a sitting, while I'd happily drinking Once Upon a Time... well, until I fell over. It is 14% ABV after all.

I should disclose that Clown Shoes provided me with a bottle of Once Upon a Time, free of charge. This has influenced my rating in no way. I appreciate the beer, Clown Shoes - thank you!

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle’s label says 12%, even though it’s elsewhere suggested (& even pictured) to be 14%. Nice black body, lacking head. Looks relatively thin and uncarbonated, almost like a small glass of black coffee.
Terrific roasted coffee/ cold brew scent. Hints of dark fruit, black licorice.
Taste is bold and roasty, with cocoa and coffee notes, and sweeter hints of darker fruit like plum and fig.
Feels rich and medium-thick, with medium carbonation, unlike its appearance. Nice.
Not much else to say, except that it sips dangerously while flavorful throughout and while avoiding any pitfalls of being overly sweet. Oddly, it seems to me a 12.5-13% abv. beer, but I’ll have to assume the label’s right on this one.

Once Upon A Time In The Far East from Clown Shoes