'Nilla Stout | 192 Brewing Company & Lake Trail Taproom

192 Brewing Company & Lake Trail Taproom
Washington, United States
192brewing.com

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by barleywinefiend on 10-03-2010

3.17/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I had this beer on-tap in a pint glass at the brewery.

Appearance: dark, dark brown with a thin layer of eggshell foam. Head is a bit minimal, but overall it looks quite nice.

Smell: roasty, dry, perhaps even a bit sourish. An odd duck, but not terrible.

Taste: lots of roast and caramel, but that weird almost-fruity dash of sour from the aroma persists. Not sure what that is, and it's not entirely unwelcome, but it is a little out of the ordinary. Additionally, I'm not sure if there's supposed to be vanilla here, but if there is it's quite lost in the overall composition.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: I'm on the fence about the weird sourness. That said, it's not awful; I see from other reviews that the weird sourness is a long-time component of this beer. It's not entirely my jam, but I could see it potentially having some appeal.

3.43/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.22/5  rDev -50%

What a joke! It was the color of a porter and did not have the usual creamy foamy head of a good stout the head was thin and white. As far as taste goes it was more like brewed apple cider with a squeeze of lemon then any stout I have ever tasted. It was horrible and I heard several other say the same thing! He should be ashamed calling this swill a stout!! I could taste NO vanilla nor marshmallow nor chocolate. It was all lemon and apple. I asked her three times if this was the stout because as a stout this is the worst one EVER created. Everyone standing there hated it. Has this "brewer" ever drunken any of his beer. Again, it's the worst "stout" I have EVER tasted.

1.66/5  rDev -32%

A: Poured a jet black color with good carbonationa nd dirty white head. Looked pretty good

S: I could tell something was wrong from the get go. Little vanilla, mucho funk

T: Bad. Infected all the way. Big funky infection totally masked about 90% of the flavor here. I did notice the base of the beer being some roastiness, cocoa and a hint at vanilla but it was killed.

M: Flatter, thin and infected, funked

D: I would like to try this again if given the chance because I firmly believe this beer was a project gone bad but when bringing it to a Craft Beer Fest you need to try it before you push it.

'Nilla Stout from 192 Brewing Company & Lake Trail Taproom