Phros | Brouwerij Strubbe

brouwerij-strubbe.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by BlackHaddock on 10-29-2011

4/5  rDev 0%

This beer is produced for the small seaside town of Middelkerke, which is where I bought it last spring, in the chocolate shop opposite the main tram halt.

Brown 33cl bottle with a front label showing the top half of a naked lady in the sea: very fetching.

Best before 9th June 2012, I poured it slowly into a Corsendonk stemmed tulip in Oct 2011. No sediment appeared to have left the botle, it seeming to be stuck to the bottle base.

A hazy, dull orangey golden brew sat in front of me, good, deep white head of foaming bubbles sat on top, rising through the cloudy body were rows of bubbles which replenished the head constantly during the tasting.

Mixed bag of sweets in the smell, caramel, some sour fruity ones along with that Belgian knack of getting yeasty aromas into a beer without making it seem green and too young to drink.

The taste was semi-sour, semi-bitter, an orange, hop combination with a peppery and coriander touch somewhere in the flavours.

Reminded me of the seaside, I like Middelkerke and have stayed there twice on holiday, this beer sends me back.

Interesting and different, well worth finding, it is sold not just in Middelkerke, but you'd have to search for it anywhere else.

Phros from Brouwerij Strubbe