Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The People's Pint Imperial Stout | The People's Pint

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-01-2004

4.5

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2013 vintage refrigerated for the last 4 years.

A: Pitch black color with a beige head. Formation and retention are good. Patchy lacing.

S: Dense chocolate cake. Undertones of roast, soot, and char. Figgy. Anise and other vague spices. Earthy hops.

T: Smokey at the outset with notes of char. Fudge and double chocolate cake. Sweet at its core with a blackstrap molasses sort of thing going on. The roast really rides up and begins to take the spotlight. Raw French roast beans. Soot and char. Strong impression of licorice. Figgy. Booze soaked raisins and prunes too. Hops have largely faded. Alcohol is apparent but not hot, bringing its own sort of spicy impression. Long roasty finish.

M: Thick and rich. A bit coating and viscous. Weighty. Still a good amount of prickling carbonation. Warming.

O: A rib-sticking Imperial Stout with a very traditional feel to it. Well worth drinking. It aged very gracefully too.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

Very good RIS very well made with hint of sweetness up front, light middle, smooth finish. Will drink again. Bottled 2015.

4.21/5  rDev +8.2%

2011 vintage. Outstanding flavor and aroma, quintessential RIS. Lots of boozy dark fruits and bitter chocolate. Drinks big for 9.5%. The carbonation was very low though possibly becuase of it's age. I'd love to try a fresh one.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was a 2012 bottle drank in 2014

Let me state this this is a totally unfair review because I am pretty sure I have a bottle that got infected. My experience does not seem to match the other reviewers, this beer was FUNKY. The funny thing is, I still really liked it.

A - Pours dark, slightly translucent with reddish hues. Not much head, almost no lacing.

S - Kind of funky and sour. Has a strong sweet oder (lactose?). Slight malt and roast.

T - Wow, this is different. A slight pleasantly sour taste like sourdough bread. Bready, yeasty, and funky. But contrasting these odd flavors is the very strong sweetness of a milk stout. Really strange combo and I was taken aback. I do not believe this is what the brewers intended. I think I got a bad bottle, but for some reason I keep coming back to it. The flavor is growing on me. I like it, a happy mistake perhaps.

M - A bit thin, very little carbonation left.

O - I know, I need to try a fresh bottle. I am not sure what I have here.

3.64/5  rDev -6.4%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

2013 wax top bottle poured into my DFH signature glass...

A - Black as night, frothy brown two finger head. Sensational sticky lace left all over the glass. Exactly how a RIS should look

S - Milk chocolate, egg nog, plums, raisins, white chocolate

T - Dark chocolate, coffee creamer, vanilla, a hint of tobacco, milk, cranberry fruit roll up, coffee finish

M - Huge thick body, low carbonation, creamy madness, exceptionally smooth

O - HOLY SHIT, wow. This is awesome, friggin awesome. Unfortunately this is a Western Mass brewery I hardly pay attention too. The bottle caught my eye the other day and I figured what the hell. Glad I did, this is truly world class. Checks every category. Right up on the Mount Rushmore of RIS with Darkness and Expedition for me. Great job Peoples Pint!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle in red wax
Hand written with Red Sharpie marker 2013

A-Poured dark with a 1 inch head

S-Aroma of sweet chocolates and coffee that were very weak initially but really came out as beer warmed.

Mouthful- Thicker than expected. Very nice substantive feel in the mouth. Lovely thickness.

Taste- Initially big malts came through almost sweet. I don't know how to describe it, but similar to the sweetness of a milk stout (but not quite). Very enjoyable. Then after the initial sweetness comes the classic RIS bitterness of coffee and chocolate that lingers in the finish.

Overall- This surprised the hell out of me. This was covered with dust on a rack from a smaller liquor store. I bought it because I was looking for stouts and the red wax and the hand written "2013" caught my eye. I would agree with the Brothers high score (100). It really is up there with the best of the RISs I have ever tasted.
Why the hell aren't more people seeking out this brew? I guess there will be more for me, but this is quite a shame that others are not enjoying this too.
$12 for 22oz bomber is quite a bargain for this and I will be actively seeking this out every year.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%