H Street Citra | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Style: Belgian IPA

Added by Dreadnaught33 on 10-26-2013

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a Cabernet barrel-aged version at the brewpub: "aged in Silver Iak Cabernet Franc barrels for 3 months".

A: quite cloudy straw-yellow (more hefe in look) with a strange tint of red/orange
S: I get the barrel wood notes in the nose predominantly, along with melon scents, with some strength that I somehow totally missed first time I tried. (Before my edit: I don't get a strong nose: some citrus notes, and a hint of the wine).
T: starts a little tart-sweet, with a bit of carbonation. I get a little of the melon, perhaps some pineapple, with a bit of tangerine as well. In the end, it transforms to a grape-wine taste nicely.
M: carbonation lingers, and the tartness has some staying power, but it remains combined with citrus sweetness
O: I think I have had the non-BA version before and enjoyed it. I definitely enjoyed this. The barrel aging did not overpower the beer taste, and there was a nice tartness that wasn't infringed upon by an over abundance of hops.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Granville Moores in DC, what a drinkable beer.

A great look, gives a great impression: beautiful look with a deep orange core and golden edges, nice ring of white head with some lacing.

The smell has a great big citra hop note (which I love), but tempered by a coriander and a bunch of floral and grassy notes. It's a complex and very alluring aroma, on tap it's very open and inviting.

The taste is great as well, definite notes of coriander, citrus, fresh picked flowers, Belgian yeast that gives it a slight sweetness, and some other delicate spice and sweets. The sweetness is almost simple syrup but not overwhelming at all, very well balanced to the hops and yeast notes. Very nice.

The feel is great in that it allows the flavors to come through very clearly with enough carbonation to make it tasty and drinkable (not flat).

Overall a very nice brew, hoppy but not overly bitter, a little sweet but still savory in some ways. Well done Mad fox!---with inspiration of the bar itself (Granville Moores)

H Street Citra from Mad Fox Brewing Company