Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

English Summer Ale | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by CrellMoset on 09-07-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.87/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.54/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Almost a Kolsch, easy drinking and clean

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice head that dissipates quickly. Clear pale gold color. A nice appearance but a little light for an English Pale Ale.

The smell and taste have a strong bitter and peppery hop note with a bit of grass. Also, a nice sweet pale malt note that gets overshadowed.

Nice biting carbonation. Smooth dry finish.

God pale ale but not very English.

3.56/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Draft at the source.

Transparent golden body with a thin collar. Fruity malts, light hops, pale malt. Light in body and smooth on the palate. Fairly low carbonation. Mild sweetness. Pretty good.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Listed at brewery as a "newer style", I don't think this fits as an English pale ale, but the category is not specified by the brewer. I rated against a lighter version: English Pale Mild Ale, as pilsner malts were used in the beer.

A: clear golden with much carbonation, sustaining a good layer of head on the surface.
S: I just don't get much, but it is lager-ish in nature. There is a light copper bitterness I think, reminiscent of an English pale ale
T: again, if I didn't know it was an ale, I'd rate it as a pilsner. A light malt sweetness (bread, honey, something I'll call "candied orange") combined with an even lighter grapefruit bitterness.
M: for the amount of carbonation that shows, the beer is very smooth, almost like it was nitro (I didn't ask for cask).
O: presenting to me as more of a lager, it didn't quite do it for me. It was fine/decent, just nothing to bring me back to it. However, this would be a decent beer to try at the brewpub if you are staring to crossover to craft beers.

2.5/5  rDev -32.2%

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at the brewery. Thin head on a hazy pale golden body. Aroma doesn't really pull in the advertised citra hops. Instead this one is very malty. Flavor is also very malty and very complex actually. Many malt varieties used produce musty, earthy and sweet flavors. The citra hops may contribute a bit of citrus sweetness near the finish but bitterness from malts cancel it out rapidly. Medium body with casked smoothness. It's not a bad beer but I was more interested when I saw it used citra hops. I was let down overall.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

I had this on tap at Mad Fox.

Served in a slender pilsener glass.

A: Poured a fairly dark yellow color, with a slight chill haze, and a nice cottony head.

S: I got a good bit of wheat, corn, citrus, and lemon all reduced down into liquid form with added alcohol. Nice.

T: This wasn't as refreshing as I'd hoped. The lemon was just too assertive for it to be described as a crisp, summer brew. However, the finish had the delicateness I was searching for.

M: Not much prickle on the carbonation which I though was a huge problem and the lacing was low to non-existent.

O: This was a major disappointment to me, but it still was better than many lesser alehouses' A-game efforts.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast