Wheat Whacked Wheatwine | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Style: Wheatwine

Added by mdfb79 on 01-01-2011

3.6

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a clear gold with white head.
S: It smelled the exact same as Headcracker.
T: It tasted almost the exact same as Headcracker. Maybe a bit more wheat, or maybe that's just a placebo.
M: It had a bit more carbonation than Headcracker (and was served colder). This was the only real difference I could tell.
D: I ordered this right after Headcracker, and had to send it back because they were identical. Then the replacement Wheat Whacked came out still the same, with a guarantee from the head bartender that it was correct. Strange that their menu described the beer as unfiltered, but it was totally clear in my glass. And they claim 55% wheat malt, but I could barely detect any wheat. And it was otherwise basically the same as their English barleywine. So they either had their tap lines crossed, or this was a very poor example of a wheatwine that was coincidentally barely distinguishable from their barleywine.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Mad Fox - December 31, 2010. Served in a snifter.

Pour brings forward a nice golden beer without the strong haze of a lot of wheatwines. Somewhat light in color. Also possesses a somewhat-billowy white head and a touch of lacing on the sides of the glass. The nose is a good start as there's nothing too cloying coming out here, just a bit of bready malt as well as a somewhat-strong hop component, almost reminding me of an imperial pilsner. The taste leads more in that direction, as there is a firm hop presence with some citrus and floral character plus some bready malt. Some sweetness, but not at all overpowering.

The mouthfeel is what really helps this one through. This is one of the first--or perhaps the first--wheatwine I've had that hasn't been even a bit cloying, which is quite nice. If it weren't for the deceptively-high ABV, I'd be able to drink quite a few of these.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%

Had this on tap at Mad Fox this afternoon when I stopped in for lunch.

a - Pours a murky golden color with high carbonation evident and one inch of fluffy white head. A lot lighter in color than I was expecting.

s - Smells of caramel malts, fruity malts, and citrus.

t - Tastes of citrus, lemon, grassy notes, caramel malts, and fruity malts. A slight step up from the nose.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation, insanely easy to drink.

d - I couldn't believe this one was 8.6%; I would have guessed 5% it went down so easy. A solid wheatwine. Nothing jumped out at me about the smell really, but it was still average. Would give another shot.

Wheat Whacked Wheatwine from Mad Fox Brewing Company