Oated Oak | Mad Fox Brewing Company

Mad Fox Brewing Company
Virginia, United States
madfoxbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by mdfb79 on 12-28-2011

4.1

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Had on cask today at the brewpub. From their facebook event page:

"50/50 blend of Oatmeal Stout and our Batch 100 Strong Black Ale aged in Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1999 Bourbon barrels, blended by Assistant Brewer Brian Murphy."

Unsure of ABV; was told 8-9% ABV. 12 oz. pour.

a - Pours a very dark mahogany brown color with one inch of dark tan head and light carbonation evident. Looks very nice.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, caramel, roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, toasted malts, and light bready malts. Nice combination of bourbon from the Batch 100 and vanilla and chocolate from the oatmeal stout. A lot going on but nothing is overpowering here; a really nice nose.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, bourbon, oak, vanilla, alcohol, chocolate, caramel malts, toffee, toasted malts, and light cream. More alcohol than nose, and more chocolate and vanilla here as well. Tiny bit strong, but I enjoyed it the mroe I drank it.

m - Thin body and no carbonation really, as expected. I would have liked a bit of a thicker body all things considered; probably the weakest part of the beer.

o - Overall I thought this was a very nice beer; I enjoyed it a lot. Bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, and vanill all come through nicely, thought the taste is a little strong on the alcohol. Body is a bit too thin, but overall a nice beer. Probably my third favorite beer they've done so far behind the 2 Hemispheres IPA and Orange Whip.

Oated Oak from Mad Fox Brewing Company