Flight Path White IPA | Mike Hess Brewing - Miramar

Style: American IPA

Added by mactrail on 07-17-2013

Reviews by mactrail:
2.94/5  rDev -0.3%

Brewed for the Bottlecraft 2nd Anniversary. Pours a hazy golden amber in the tall tulip. Some coarse foam and an abundance of big bubbles. I don't get much fragrance. LIght body with something silky/oily in the mouthfeel. A whiff of pineapple-orange juice in the smell with a whiff of alcohol.

The label says this is 45% wheat but it tastes like there is a big dose of rye. Quite grainy and scratchy. I don't really taste the wheat, but it's hopped up with something uusual, and dry-hopped with Mosaic. It doesn't actually taste very hoppy, but it turns quite bitter. Quite grainy and seriously dry, rather sharp in the back of the mouth, with a hint of sourness. Bitter and grainy aftertaste. From the 22 oz bottle with the crazy reflective label.

2.75/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I just want to preface this review by saying that I absolutely love Bottlecraft. And Hess. Both of these are absolute gems in the San Diego brew scene and both have made a huge impact in a short amount of time. I expect to see huge things from both of them in the near and distant future. This beer is probably just a minor bump in the road for both of them.

A: As far as "lookers" go, this is near the bottom of the list. Reminds me of what my first homebrew looked like when I was transferring it to the bottling bucket. Chunks galore! Color is good, head is good, but the sediment is unreal. When I first started pouring, everything looked good. Then about halfway into the glass, I started noticing a lot of hop floaties. Then at the end, a chunk of yeast cake the size of a quarter plopped into the glass. Gross...

S: This smells very strange. I get a hint of hops, but there's a rubbery/metallic/herbal smell that keeps attacking me. Rye is definitely present here, along with some burnt grain, latex and yeast.

T: I don't know, this just isn't good. The rye really takes over right away and gives off a really strong peppery and bitter flavor. The hops (they're a secret, so I'm not sure what they should taste like) just don't really add much of a character to this at all. Instead, there's a lot of dry, bitterness mixed with dried grapefruit pith and unripe lemon. The finish is long, and lingering and just kind of wears you down with all the bitterness. If the wheat does anything here, it makes the mouthfeel a bit creamy, but I could definitely do with a bit more wheat and a bit less rye here. I love you, Hess and Bottlecraft, but please don't make this one again.

3.75/5  rDev +27.1%