Honey Pale Ale | McCoy Brewery & Co

3.68/5  rDev +11.2%

2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a Pokal glass. Bought is in a grocery store in Chambly, Quebec, Canada and it comes from Rochester NY. USA. Can't get it here in Ontario as far as I can see.

A: Orange to copper in colour. Head is bubbly (vs foamy). Carbonation appears to be medium. Head was about 3/4 inch, then fell to 3/8 after 15-20 seconds.

S: citrus, orange with the honey in the background. A hint of crystal is the background but the hops do take over that.

T: Hint of vanilla and hazelnut. I got the feeling for a moment that I was drinking amaretto but it is very faint. Ok...second sip, amaretto once again. 3rd and 4th sip, hazelnut, vanilla, and a hint of citrus.

M: Carbonation is a bit too strong for my taste (or for the style) but given that there is a certain amount of sweetness to it, it does cut through it so it is needed.

O: A great beer. Of course it's not too style but for what it is, it's great. Not overly sweet, yet not overly bitter. Carbonation cuts the sweetness and the bitterness balances the malt. Overall this is a must have in my fridge.

3.63/5  rDev +9.7%

poured into my favorite pint.

result is a nice and massive white head that stick to the glass, tHE color is golden/blond/honey color. Carbonation is active but calm.

smell: hop, fresh cereal, herbal

Taste: light bitterness, element of grapefruit, i dont really taste the honey, but the brew is quite mellow and smooth.

mf: Quiet carbonation, that gives all the space to the taste, it feels really smooth, with a medium after-taste of sweet bitterness.

Overall: I enjoy this beer before diner with cheese and stuff, did the job.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

The wife found me a four pack at a corner store in Quebec. Cheap-looking can for a cheaply-priced beer.

Pours a slightly cloudy, deep golden colour. Starts off wiith an ample, soapy head that gets retained as a thin layer and leaves some minimal lace.

The aroma carries a very nice hoppy, peppery spiciness with hints of fresh water and citrus. I also get some malty, bready tone and corn syrup.

Mouthfeel s a bit off to me. Its part dirty, part creamy with a fairly mild carbonation.

The main body of the taste comes from an earthy, slightly burnt malt flavour, with a distinct honey tone. It's a bit sweet for me, but most importantly it doesn't taste fake.

There is a very nice dryness in the finish to balance out the sweet taste, but it never gets that classic bitter pale ale bite for me.

I'm very surprised at the overall quality of this one. For a beer essentially made for party stores at a low-end price, this isn't half bad. Not something I'd go out of my way to get, but I was expecting much worse

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%

473ml can poured into a tulip pint glass...

A - Clear golden body, with a rich white head. Some lacing and okay head retention.

S - Surprisingly quite hoppy, with strong citrus notes. Also notes of honey, caramel and bread.

T - Starts out with a decent hop bite, some sweetness and some breadiness. HOWEVER, it gets a bit worse with time, developing an adjunct lager-like taste. The hoppiness fades out by a little. The finish is a bit dry, moderately bitter and very grainy. Overall, this is still quite tasty, though.

T - Light-bodied. The carbonation is very high at first, but then it drops, leaving the beer just a little sparkly. Minimal alcohol in the taste, which should not be a problem.

D - No complains here, this is a great (and cheap) session ale!

Overall, this is definitely the better kind of gimmick beers! For $5.99 a 4-pack I can't think of any beer sold in Quebec corner shops that would beat this price-value correlation.

2.06/5  rDev -37.8%

Can: Poured a clear golden color beer with a medium bubbly head with minimal retention and no lacing. Aroma of light adjunct notes with some sweetness. Taste is also quite sweet with some light ester of adjunct. Body is about average with good carbonation. Not something I will seek again.

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Never heard of this but found it in a Saint-Henri d├ępanneur. All four 473ml cans were kind of dirty and dusty.

A- A nice dark gold. Almost amber depending on what light I hold it to. Not quite clear. Beaten egg white head. Decent retention of three finger head. Lots of, well, lace-like lacing. Looks pretty good.

S- Smells like honey, but more like the honey the right malt and hop combination can create. Not as much like a beer with actual honey added. Tiny bit of macro lager smell but it really isn't much (corn maybe?).

T- A little bit of sweetness which I find very good. Very good hop flavor. Grapefruit bitterness. Something reminds me of a american adjunct lager: some of the alcohol profile and a small, very small, dirty bitterness. Alcohol stands out alot. Yummy honey hop and dirty macro lager after taste. Think I bought this in early August and it still tastes fresh.

M- Medium carbonation. Liquid isn't that dense but general mouthfeel is full. Foams up nicely. Moderatly dry and astringent from what I think might be the hops.

D- Very good. Refreshing and almost like candied hops without being too sweet.

If this was always available in Montreal d├ępanneurs, I'd buy it often. Have a feeling this isn't really a craft beer (others have pointed out it might be a contract brew) but it's pretty good for what it is. Kind of sad to see this one go as I have no idea where I can get more.
Hopefully one day most macros can at least have this level of flavour and feel.

EDIT: just found some more at my favorite beerstore. 6.99 for 2l. Drank a bunch since and still like it.

Honey Pale Ale from McCoy Brewery & Co