Crimson Spice | Iron Fist Brewing Company

ironfistbrewing.com

Style: Bière de Garde

Added by NickMunford on 07-14-2012

3.18/5  rDev 0%

Crimson Spice is Spice of Life with Blood Orange. I had this on tap at the brewery in June, and again tonight on cask at Local Habit in San Diego. I gave the cask version a 3 average, but would give the tap version a 4 average. This review is primarily for the cask.

A: The cask pour was kind of dull orange-redish in appearance with little head. The tap version was in a taster, but had a brighter crisper orange-red appearance with a better head.

S: Cask. With the addition of blood orange, I would expect more orange in the aromas, but it reminded me more of grapefruit.

T: Cask. Orange zest and a mid-range hopiness were evident. The coriander and other Belgian spices were taking a back seat.

M: Cask. The carbonation was there, but not as much as I would like. That may be normal for casks, though. It had a pretty smooth mouthfeel, but left a bitter aftertaste. The tap version had a lighter mouthfeel, and didn't have the aftertaste.

O: After having the taster on tap, and really enjoying it, I was looking forward to this cask. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with casks, but I was kinda underwhelmed with this one. If you have the opportunity to taste this fresh at the brewery, take it. That taster was great. If you see it on cask, I'd say it's worth a try if you're looking for the tic, but don't expect to be blown away.

Crimson Spice from Iron Fist Brewing Company