Hefe | Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling

Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling
Texas, United States
drinkrangercreek.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by rcfunk on 08-25-2011

4.32/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured with no head. tad bit of carbonation. Amberish in color.
Smelled of ripe banana

tasted sweet and spicy (cloves)
Mouthfeel was heavy.

All in all, not what I expect for a Hefeweizen. If you were to drink this and live oak hefe, you wouldn't even know they were supposed to be the same style. If they were to call it a dunkelweizen, it would be more appropriate, because it is that much darker, sweeter, and heavier.

3.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Technically speaking just about every beer Ranger Creek releases is a new release. Earlier this summer they had two recession-themed session beers (a play on ‘recession’ and ‘session’, natch!): an IPA and a hefeweizen. Now they have a ‘regular’ hefe available and I’m glad to have caught it during their open house in September. (Bit of trivia: this hefe comes with a pedigree as it won the gold as a homebrew recipe in its earliest incarnation)
Poured into a nonic pint with a very faint amount of foam and some thin bubbling. Cloudy/hazy, with a dirty gold/straw color. It’s darker than I’d expect, certainly a few shades darker than the standard hefe. Yeasty, with bananas and some bubblegum on the nose. Citrusy. Very carbonated, zesty, heavier mouthfeel than I expected too. It’s big and vibrant and very enjoyable. So glad they’re not serving this with an orange!

3.67/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: It poured a surprisingly dark orange that was very opaque, like a hefeweizen should be, there however; was virtually zero head that only formed a thin ring around the side of the glass. I attribute the zero head to the pouring by the bartender.

Aroma: Lots of banana notes, subtle clove and bready notes and a hint of spices. The aroma is really pleasant.

Taste: I was surprised how bitter the finish was on this beer. I don't mind bitter and its calculated IBUs could be within the limit for a hefeweizen, but it just seemed high. Taste wise there wasn't much complexity, but it wasn't off putting in anyway.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation that tickles the tongue. Refreshing.

Overall: I'll probably give it another try when/ if it's bottled, but if it is not bottled then I don't think I would buy it again. There is some steep competition in Texas when it comes to hefeweizens.

2.37/5  rDev -28.8%

This is the second time I have been really let down by this brewery. This beer tasted like there was something wrong with the brewing process itself which is why I am so disappointed by it.

The beer was murky (almost as murky as their Mesquite Smoked Porter served at Draught House a few months ago). It smelled normal but tasted really bad. I found myself wondering if the beer had been brewed with unfiltered city water as there was a strong flavor of chlorine in the brew. It's pretty rare for me to not finish a beer I have paid for, but this was one such incident.

Hefe from Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling