Belgian Pilsner

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 8 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.01/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Can dated 3-26-19. Pilsner glass.

A: pours a slightly hazed bright yellow, not quite straw, with two fingers of foamy white head. Slow streams of carbonation, solid retention, and a little sporty lacing.

S: right off the bat I get the familiar and beloved spicy, floral, Saaz hop. Also some clean lager yeast aroma.

T: I drink a lot of Pilsners, so the Belgian phenol note jumps out at me as soon as this hits my tongue. It is really subtle, masked by the hops and the rich pilsner malt, but it is there. I like it, but it is certainly a deviation from what I expect in this style. Rich texture on the palate.

M: heavier side of light bodied with a lager crispness and some lingering slickness.

O: I am confounded by this beer. On the one hand, I love a classic Pilsner, and this is not that so I am disappointed. On the other, this is the essence of craft beer ingenuity; breaking barriers and exploring new flavors. This is a great Pilsner, very well crafted, and I would definitely buy it again. However the Belgian note makes it a little out of what I am looking for in a go-to pils. I would recommend any Pilsner enthusiast or Belgian beer enthusiast give it a try.

Belgian Pilsner from Rockmill Brewery