Alpha Amber Ale | Wild Wolf Brewing Company

Wild Wolf Brewing Company
Virginia, United States
wildwolfbeer.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by zaphodchak on 01-21-2012

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Knocked back a pitcher at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville, VA. While I like IPAs, though not a huge fan, I was a bit blown away by the description of Amber Ale. Eating pizza with my wife, we decided to go local. She does not like IPAs at all and the deceptive label caused the pitcher to be something we had to stomach versus enjoy. Again, I enjoyed it but was not expecting an IPA with the term Amber Ale which to me would indicate a completely different style of beer. With that caveat I'd go for it again if I was in the hoppy mood.

3.62/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apparently an amber version of Alpha Ale.

It's definitely amber, with some thinnish white head.

Nutty, toasty nose-- smells kinda like crackers.

Taste-wise, it's basically an IPA. I guess there's some extra malt there, so it's a bit of an amber as well, but the finish tells all.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard, no complaints.

Not too remarkable, but not bad for IPA lovers.

Alpha Amber Ale from Wild Wolf Brewing Company