Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

American Pilsner | Wild Wolf Brewing Company

Virginia, United States
wildwolfbeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Availability: Spring

Our take on a German style Pilsner. We take your traditional German Pils and add a good old American Hop Punch. This beer is clean, crisp and refreshing. This golden lager is the perfect beer for hot Virginia summer days.

Added by bubseymour on 05-27-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the can. Nice golden appearnce. Looks and smells in line with a German pils. Malty, dry and refreshing. Had many others that are more robust on the elements but they are mostly here. Not bad at all.

3.61/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.09/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Quick review. To qualify: this is the most expressive VA pilsner that I've tasted to date. Smooth biscuity malt plays perfectly against a very subtle & crisp hoppiness. I love the carbonation & the slightly reduced malt quality here. Quintessential American-style pils.

1.25/5  rDev -62%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I asked my brother in law to help me with a blind taste test between this and a Miller Lite. I felt that the Miller Lite had better color, nose and smell and was certain that the Lite must be the craft beer. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I really wanted to like this Pilsner from a Virginia craft brewery, but I found it to be really disappointing.

2.41/5  rDev -26.7%

Can poured into wine glass. Clear yellow. Minimal citrus aroma. Crisp pilsner bitterness.

2.5/5  rDev -24%

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Coming over in a trade, I had given one to tone77 as part of our regular in-person gig, but I am trying to get caught up in terms of The CANQuest (TM) and am only getting to it this evening.

From the CAN: "AmeriCAN Pilsner"; " Howling Good Beer"; "Leave Only Pawprints! Pack it in - Pack It Out"; "CANs: Infinitely Recyclable"; "Our take on a German style Pilsner. We take your traditional German Pils and add a good old Ameri[CAN] Hop Punch. This beer is clean, crisp and refreshing. A perfect beer for hot Virginia summer days."

This Wolf migrated northward to PA, but it is plenty hot and humid to make him feel right at home! We Cracked! him open in celebration of his safe arrival and in doing so, some foam fizzed up through the opening. I am wondering if the Wolfie boys may not have a problem with carbonation, and although it is counter-indicated, we held him upside down for an inverted Glug. Thankfully, I am well-practiced at this sort of thing and backed off before an overflow occurred. Even so, I ended up with about three fingers of foamy, bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a slightly hazy lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a grassy hop presence along with a toasted malt presence, adding up to a kind of lemon biscuit scent. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was both sweet and tart, very lemony and quite refreshing. Finish was semi-dry and the sweetish lemon flavor really lingered. I am still troubled by its inherent carbonation and since there are other CANned GER Pilsners now available from craft brewers, I would give this a pass unless Wild Wolf BC is local to you.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Yes, once again the master of canned beers, woodychandler, comes through with this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, some sweetness. Taste is malts, a bit of lemon, slight sweetness, clean and refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%