Smokehouse Rauch | Chama River Brewing Company

Style: Rauchbier

Added by RblWthACoz on 10-16-2006

Reviews by RblWthACoz:
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Sampled on 10-2006. Pours a crystal clear amber with little head and lots of lacing. Muted nose that I just couldn't pull much off. Maybe it was the fried calamari next to me that was robbing my sense. This is my first Rauchbier, so excuse me while I go with a "Whoa". Smokey for sure. The flavor is so rich and full it is like licking the wall of a smokehouse, but not in a nasty way. You get such a complex smoky flavor off this, there are just so many ways to describe it. It doesn't overpower with the smoke, but this is definitely not for a timid beer drinker. You have to be ready to drink this one. Smooth mouthfeel and very drinkable if you can deal with the smoke.

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

a- amber w/very slight haze

s- smoke from the start, didn't get much else

t- smoke, is there a trend here?

m- medium with low to moderate carb

d- I completly agree with the previous reviews and don't have much more to add. This was also my first smoked beer and I have to be honest that I had a little trouble with it. To me, the smoke is overpowering and I look forward to trying a classic so I can better compare. This is an example of extreme brewing and is not for the faint of heart.

3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

A- Clear light cara mel, thin head w/good lace
S- very smokey with toasted malt
T- almost overwhelming smoke flavor
M-medium bodied w/good carbonation
D- odd tasting to me

This beer was interesting, kind of like drinking BBQ. I love good Q but not in the liquid form. The color, mouthfeel and appearance were OK but the taste and smell were not for me. Not bad as in bad brewing, just not to my liking

Smokehouse Rauch from Chama River Brewing Company