Plaza Porter | Blue Corn Brewery

Added by Todd on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 5
Reviews by RblWthACoz:
4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

From notes after visiting the brewpub 12/2006. Pours an opaque black. Nose is slightly smoky with a roasted quality about it. Goes down smooth with subtle, but strong coffee and roasted qualities. Thick malt flavors. I also get what I think is a blue cheese flavor in a way. Odd, yeah? Feel is superb IMO. Excellent level of carbonation combined with the ingredients. I am hoping I didn’t just catch this on a good day and that it is like this

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

I went to Blue Corn on my third visit to Santa Fe and upon seeing this porter on the menu, I knew immediately it was what I wanted!

Named "Plaza" for the historic district in Santa Fe, this beer was a deep dark brown color with a creamy colored head. It smelled sweet and a little chocolatey and the taste reflected this as well. It was similar to other porters I've had and since this is one of my favorite types of beer, I certainly enjoyed this drink.

It was a smooth beer, malty but not overly so. I would be extremely likely to try it again on my next trip to Santa Fe!

2.82/5  rDev -26.4%

Part of a sampler at the brewery - it's a 5.5% ABV, it poured a very thick, dark black/brown color with a light, thin and frothy head. It mainly had the aromas of chocolate/mocha, but the malt didn't come out in the taste and it was surprisingly bitter which affected it's drinkability. I was surprised at the bitterness, because it smelled great.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

I recalled this one being good in the ole hustling days. Was it still now that I switched my drug of choice? Off the tap this summer this beer was an opaque brown that was close to but not quite black. The head was thin and tan but it did lace well and retain itself as a ring. The aroma was rich and malty with some smoky elements and hints of caramel and toffee sweetness. The flavors were typical but appropriate for the style, bittersweet chocolate, roasted coffee and some earthy tones with a cutting hoppy bitterness towards the end. Pretty big without being in-your-face. The body was medium/full and the carbonation perfect so it was really quite creamy and pleasant going down. The best beer they make, even years after I first had it.

Plaza Porter from Blue Corn Brewery