Brimstone Barrel Aged Moontower

From:
Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery

Texas, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
3.32/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a tan head. Leaves some spotted lace. Color is a deep brown.

Aroma: Whiskey, chocolate, oak, vanilla, molasses, and caramel. Some dark fruits also show.

Taste: Very similar to the nose. Whiskey, oak, vanilla, with a lot of roast. Some coffee and caramel. Dark fruits again.

Mouthfeel: Warm and smooth. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little warm.

Overall, ths was okay, but nothing too exciting. Too dry and roasted. Also too hot.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

I consider myself lucky that I got to try this brew this evening, as I know it was a small batch. This was aged in Balcones Brimstone barrels, which is considered a smoked Texas whiskey.

This beer poured a nice opaque black with a small off white head that stuck around just a bit even 'til the end.

The aroma is of roasty coffee, anise, some smoke and well integrated barrel. Can tell it's going to be good.

The taste is much of the same, with included toffee and vanilla. Again, the barrel here is very well integrated. I can really appreciate that. I like this a lot.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and a good amount of carbonation, where it should be.

Overall, I was impressed by this beer. It's bold, but easy to drink. I'd like to be able to enjoy this on a regular basis. This would be amazing on cask, too.

Brimstone Barrel Aged Moontower from Black Star Co-op Pub & Brewery