Octoberfest | Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2010

3.36/5  rDev 0%

Pint glass.

Appearance - Rich, dark brown. No real head to it. But its definitely got the color a few shades below that of a stout or porter going for it.

Smell - It smells like a brown ale to me. Subtle spiciness, possibly slight hints of caramel.

Taste - Again, its oddly akin to a brown ale, with a touch more of a hoppy punch to it. As rich as it looks with a slightly sweet overtone before it lays into a bitter. A very light spicy (cloves?) taste wraps around it all. Balanced and very drinkable, and I personally don't like bitter beers. Definitely a good warm up for those interested in a darker or more bitter beer, and a decent fall drink.

Mouthfeel - Light bitter aftertaste, rich and a little thick.

Overall - I don't like it per se; but I see quality in it. Its a well-rounded beer on all fronts, it hits the right notes just long enough before going away. Strong but not too strong, and just enough of sweet and spice to make it interesting. I could imagine it pairing well with pretzels.

Octoberfest from Alcatraz Brewing Co.