Penitentiary Pilsner | Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Alcatraz Brewing Co.

Style: Czech Pilsener

Availability: Fall

Added by womencantsail on 08-12-2010

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.08/5  rDev -1%

On-tap at Alcatraz (Orange)

A: The pour is a pale straw yellow color with an initially fluffy white head.

S: The nose is quite spicy, which I suppose should be attributed to the hops. It's pretty much the only thing I pick up on the aroma, in fact.

T: The flavor is similarly dominated by this spice character. It's reminiscent of a spice I've tasted, but I can't quite put my finger on it. A soft grain sweetness follows the intense spiciness.

M: The body is light to medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: This was just too bland aroma wise and the flavor was rather one-note: not a combination I generally look for.

Penitentiary Pilsner from Alcatraz Brewing Co.