Cream Ale | The Bier Brewery

Added by robwestcott on 02-09-2011

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by robboyd:
4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

I sampled this beer during a tasting and took notes. It was the first in the flight so I feel comfortable providing an honest review on a small sample.

The look was a deep golden color with a fluffy, almost whipped cream like head. I remember being amazed at how small the bubbles were in the head. I wanted to stick my finger in it and take a taste, like you would with fresh whipped cream.

Like a previous reviewer mentioned, it immediately reminded me of a heffe weizen, both in nose and taste, but with a twist. It was a surprising beer for the style. Extremely flavorful, hints of hops and spice, with citrus and grain. I think this brew embodies balance, which happens to be a descriptor of each of their beers. While I haven't tasted many cream ale's, I can say with confidence this has been my favorite.

[Edit] I've had this beer several times since my initial review and it simply hasn't lived up to the first taste. Still a great beer and all the characteristics I previously mentioned are there but I felt I was strong in my initial ratings. I dropped a couple ticks on taste and overall.

4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

grabbed at the brewery 5 days ago.

poured cold fr the growler a crisp and translucent gold fading to copper with a super fizzy, short lasting white head leaving a bit of lace.

big yeasty aroma with hints of banana (?).

wow. huge flavor for the style. bananas, citrus, bread. this is a big toothy beer.

medium carbonation, big bodied, sweet.

drinkable - yes, very.

if I didn't know better I'd say this was a hefeweizen. and a good one, at that.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

A cream enhancement to their Kolsch style done very well, Bier Brewery's Cream Ale as little extra oomph! that competitor's style cream ale. The upgraded delight is mostly due to the flaked corn and rice added along with the noble hops for small hop to your taste buds.

The head is nice and frothy and compliments the rich yellow golden color perfectly.

I purchased a growler of this and it was gone within a few days. Consumed alone it was perfect, but I also found it went well with Asian cuisine.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Overall I feel this is an exceptional beer. Good, smooth flavor...great balance of malts with a hint of citrus. The Cream Ale is very drinkable and is one of those perfect beers to have on a warm summer day. The appearance is of a nice deep golden color and has a good head when poured into an ice cold pint glass.

Cream Ale from The Bier Brewery