Midnight Lager | Solvang Brewing Company

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by DoubleJ on 09-22-2011

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 4
4.63/5  rDev +131.5%

This will not be very professional or anywhere near a connoisseur's review BUT hear me out...

As someone who does not like beer, I do love lagers. In my experience, I am one of very few females to have such a preference, but this is precisely the reason why I urge you to step outside of your comfort zone and try this wonderful beverage.

I generally think of beer as carbonated piss-water and only useful for a game of beer pong. Lagers, on the other hand, are always worth a try. I generally only drink beer from Poland as I have found many dark beers/lagers to be too bitter to finish or not exciting enough to hold my attention for the duration of the pint.

This lager, my friends, has surpassed both of these defaults. Both the gentlemen in my company found the awesome flavor too powerful to handle. I feel as though the skies have opened up and my dream of finding the perfect lager has been answered.

The 10oz mug arrived in front of me and right away the very dark, almost pure black color, grabbed my attention. I knew I was in for something special. The first sip will grab your attention that's for sure. It'll bite you at first, as you breathe out you will taste a very very smokey flavor, but the finish is a nice roasted grain flavor. The liquid is light in alcoholic percentage, smooth, thick in the sense that you know you just had something in your mouth, but it definitely had me wishing I wasn't driving that day so I could've ordered a growler.

Personal tastes vary. This is smokey smokey smokey, bold, rich, smooth, hearty as well as refreshing. If this isn't your taste then this isn't your lager. For those who want something unique and unlike any lager they've had before, the Midnight Lager will not disappoint. Personally, I feel as though I've walked into Wonka's factory and have my own golden egg. The Midnight Lager is definitely the treat at the end of my rainbow

1.56/5  rDev -22%

Consumed at brewery on Saturday, November 5th 2011.

The beer is very dark brown, almost black, but still clear. Virtually no head.

Aromas of iodine, rust and... there! Some dark roasted grain.

Flavor is smoky with a hint of bitter chocolate. Oh, and sour. Not good sour, but infection sour. Not out of control and unservable to the public sour, but management decided to sell this rather than dump it sour.

Mouthfeel is similar to carbonated water.

Drinkability - none. Avoid this one. Even without the infection, this would be unremarkable.

1.53/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Light and dark, yes please. On-tap at the source itself, on to the beer:

Its body is black as you can picture it, and where's the head? There's a tiny amount of lace that washes around the edges of the glass. The nose is strange. The aroma of unmalted dark malts and lots of husk, plus a dose of plastic, make a very nervous prelude.

I've gnawed on dark malts before, and it tastes like I'm gnawing on dark malts, but in a bad way. Did this go through fermentation? And if that wasn't enough, it's quite husky with a little burnt plastic. Its thin body and soda-like carbonation add to the picutre of a beer that is very rough all around.

If I were drinking this at home, I would have poured out at least half the pint. But drinking in a public setting, I force myself to drink the pint and find a glass of water to chase away this plague of a beer.

Midnight Lager from Solvang Brewing Company