Daleside Porter

Added:
Jan 23, 2016
No description / notes.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews.
Reviewed by woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.25/5  rDev 0%
I will readily cop to the fact that mine is an old bottle. It made the move with me from my parents' house to Chez Woody over seven years ago, but it has been well-cared for ever since I first procured it. It sat in the cool basement in the 'rents' house & then has been in my reefer since arrival. I just got so laser-focused on APAs/AIPAs/DIPAs & CANs that it fell wholly out of the rotation. It snowed all day today & I decided to immerse myself in Porters to refresh my memory & palate. It has been time well-spent, plus I got a pic approved really quickly, so it moves to the front of the rotation.

From the bottle: "Beers of Distinction"; "brewed exclusively for Booths"; "Daleside Porter is distinctively dark in colour, full of body with a smooth velvet finish."; "Birra, Biere, Starkol, Cerveza, Olut, Ol".

I Pop!ped the cap on this ancient bottle and began the gentlest of pours, keeping a close eye on the appearance of any lees. There was no head, so I swirled it in the glass to get a brief finger of soapy, light-tan head that quickly dissipated. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity and garnet highlights. Nose smelled of dried dark fruits with a bit of leather and I was put in mind of an Old Ale/Barleywine. Oxidized? Perhaps. Mouthfeel was thin. The taste was not of Porter, but more like an aged Old Ale. I realize that they would prefer that I drink it fresh (and it is currently being produced, at least on-cask), but this really held its own. Here is something to wrap your head around - the flavor of an Old Ale in a low-ABV beer! I also began to taste the original milk chocolate flavors as it warmed, but mixed with that dark fruitiness, it was like a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar. This was phenomenal, but probably impossible to recreate, especially if it is no longer being bottled. Warming further, I really began to taste tobacco along with the leather. Oh, man. If only there were some way to do this again. Finish was dry, kind of vinous with a grape/raisin flavor that lingered along with a light chocolatiness.
Jan 24, 2016