Hefeweizen

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.71/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A few things have occurred recently (& not so recently) that have enabled me to refocus on The CANQuest (tm). First, I managed to winnow down, nearly to the point of eradication, The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. SeCANd, I have gone back to day-to-day substitute teaching, which has become more lucrative than ever, thanks to a dearth of regular teachers & along with it, a dearth of substitutes. My days take me to different buildings each day & if I am near a bottle shop, I pop in to see what they may have in their inventory for my selection. Third, I have become more of a Lancastrian, traveling less & staying (mostly) within the bounds of the county, if not simply at Chez Woody, CANtinuing to drink & review beers from the CANfort of my home.

From the CAN: "CANs: Infinitely recyclable (tm)".

I did some in-CAN agitating before Crack!ing open the CAN & giving its CANtents an inverted Glug. This led to some massive foaming action, as you might expect, but it being a 12-fl. oz. CAN, it was manageable. The kitchen smelled as though I were baking banana bread instead of getting baked on something from the CANana Cabana! The foam reached all new & unexpected heights, forming over three fingers of dense, rocky, bone-white head with moderate retention. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Leaning in, the nose remained quite banana-like with a smidge of clove & a hint of lemon. I did nothing to adulterate this beer, mind you! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as intense as the nose had led me to expect, but I could get the usual banana & pink bubble gum suspects as well as a light clove spiciness along with a light wheat-lemon tartness. Finish was dry, pleasant for the style, but I remain outside of the Hefeweizen realm. They just do not do it for me. I would have preferred an emphasis on the clove esters but I CAN't always have it my way.

Oct 07, 2017
citizencane from Pennsylvania

3.84/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours cloudy yellow with abundant head from can into glass. Leaves faint lacing. Smell is banana and faint clove. Taste is same, with some cracker or biscuit. Feel is crisp and refreshing, yet leaves the mouth thick and sticky. Crisp, refreshing, and straightforward but good quality.

Jun 26, 2017