Ideaal Tripel

Notes:
Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 7 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
TheVillageIdiot from Virginia

3.17/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I live in McLean, VA, just a half hour drive from where this is brewed. I have a thing for Belgian Triples and though this is pretty good, it's just not my mug of brew. Only way I'd be buying it is if there wasn't anything better. It doesn't have the smell or after taste I enjoy in a beer. Though the octane level is where I like my beers, this is not a go-to.

Jun 04, 2018
cjgiant from District of Columbia

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle dated 5/18:
Well, I can't argue with the brewer's description on looks - "honey gold with a thick cap of mousse-like foam." My cold pours weren't too, too thick, but warmer pours meet the criterium. The body doesn't appear perfectly clear, but it's fairly close. That foam cap is quite persistent, leaving medium to heavy lacing in ghostly streams.

The nose is a lightly sweet, fruity bouquet. I'm getting golden delicious apples, honey, a little dry grain and grass, and perhaps just a little citrus zest (orange/lemon). Warmth starts to bring a just little banana and clove.

The taste opens with a distinctively classic Belgian yeast providing a fruity and phenolic yeast note. The scents are represented in the taste, with the malts coming across a bit stronger in the form of a barely toasted crusty bread, giving this beer a "classic beer flavor" at its base. There is a little burn here, perhaps a combination of spicy notes and the 8.5% ABV. More distinct spice notes seem to take over for the end taste: clove and pepper, while the hard pear/apple cider note provides an undercurrent. A slight grass bitterness barely puts up some resistance.

Initially, the slightly astringent bite to the alcohol/spice near the front was grating. As the beer was allowed to warm, this subsided, allowing the flavors to come together a little better, and causing me to consider increasing my feel score a notch (though I didn't). A nice, sweeter, fruity beer that gets a little balance, but stays pretty true to style - as expected from Port City.

May 27, 2018