Panama Red Ale | Yorkholo Brewing Co.

Awaiting More Ratings

Yorkholo Brewing Co.
Pennsylvania, United States
yorkholobrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by akorsak on 08-01-2011

3.08/5  rDev 0%

Pub had it listed as IPA, but red ale is more appropriate.

A= dark red, looked almost dirty to the eye.

S= smell was stronger to the malt side, I did not pick up much of hops smell to it.

T= A lot of malt taste to me the hops came on with time, giving it a little grapefruit taste, but felt the malts were overwhelming.

M= Kind of like the appearance it tasted thick and almost dirty, but not in a bad way, it just felt thick for this style to me.

O= not a bad beer with plenty of kick, this batch was listed at 6.8% on the pub blackboard. Two of these did the trick for me, felt this was the best beer I have had at Yorkholo so far.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

A hoppy red ale, at the brewpub.

A: The ale is a reddish brown color, darker and murkier than your typical amber. Definitely the red side… A thin head came with the pour but didn't linger.

S: The nose is a strong combination of roasted malts and citrus hops. The fuller malt profile caught me off guard, bigger than expected. The comforting bite of hops calmed me down immediately.

T: More roasted malts, toasted and full. This is no stout though, this is caramel and nearly-burnt biscuit. Grapefruit comes in hard, a sizeable portion for an amber ale, adding pepper and oily citrus to the malts. Although a little strong, a pint or two wouldn't hurt anyone.

M: The mouthfeel is big, much bigger than expected. The heavy hop addition paired with more-toasted grains is a nice hybrid between a black ale and an amber ale. I'd call this my number 2 for the night.

Panama Red Ale from Yorkholo Brewing Co.