Phoenix Strong | Lafayette Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer

2.86/5
Alströms:

3.25/5  rDev 0%

2.46/5  rDev 0%

Arrived with a quarter inch of tan head. Beer was dark brown with red highlights. Thick. I called it an "American Brown" but it could just as easily be called "American Strong" or even a porter.

Smell was chocolate, molasses, coffee, and leather. The hops were shy in the nose, barely registering their earthiness.

Taste was more porter that ale, quite heavy in the mouth, and sweet with chocolate, dried fruit (plum, apricot, raisin), and coffee flavors. The hops were not assertive and I had hoped for more astringency and earthiness from the Phoenix hops.

This is a heavy beer and low in my sense of drinkability. My guess is I'll forget my reaction by the next time it pops up in the rotation and be disappointed all over again.

LBC describes it thus:
This unique als is brewed with pale, crystal and chocolate malts and hopped exclusively with English-grown Phoenix hops. Mahogany in color, this full bodied brew is malty yet retains an expressive hop character. Complex flavor profile highlights hints of toffee and tobacco. Stop by and have a pint or two of the Phoenix Strong Ale, this ale was last seen at the brewpub back in '07.

Phoenix Strong from Lafayette Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 2 ratings