Tònica | Empresa De Cervejas Da Madeira

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by safaricook on 11-01-2013

3.46/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I just found a 6 pack of this at my local package store for $3.99. I asked the clerk about it and he said they got a real good deal so I decided to try. Decent beer at a great price.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Got this all over the island of Madeira, Potugal. Poured into the original Coral stemmed glass ("Balão").

Beautiful fine pored beige foam that reduces slowly to a rim leaving little lacing. Body is black with some fine bubbles. When swirled the foam comes back nicely.
Aroma is not is faint of dark malts not burned and coffee without its bitterness. Retronasal I get some alcohol and maybe a hint of fruits.
Taste is also nice dark malts not strong but clearly that of a Schwarzbier. In the aftertaste there is some hop bitterness (not from the malts) if you look for it.
Fine carbonation that is a little tickling but overall smooth with a body that is a little too thin for my likes.
Overall this is a nice and the only alternative from the pale lagers that you can get here. I am glad that it is there but I probably wouldn't get as many if there were other choices. If you are on Madeira this is a must try though.

Tònica from Empresa De Cervejas Da Madeira