Earth Worm

Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: In anticipation of summertime, we went for a refreshing rye ale with Earthworm. But why call it earthworm, you may ask? Well, we used petite wormwood (the younger, non-psychoactive cousin of wormwood, a key ingredient in absinthe) as a bittering agent. We found that using two pounds in the boil gave it an especially earthy aroma, in addition to a bitter quality very distinct from what you'd normally get from plain ol' hops. That explains the “worm” but the “Earth” came about because the beer was released right around Earth Day. We love happy accidents.

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 5 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
MacQ32 from South Carolina

2.87/5  rDev -12%

A: Had this beer at Gene's Haufbrau, poured into a pint glass. Had a slightly murkey brown color with a bit of a red tint.Head was pretty weak and quickly dissipated, minimal lacing

S: Rye, citrus, floral hops, and sweet malts. Simple but fairly strong

T: Rye, a bit of sweet malt and must comes in. A little too musty/almost funky, not really appealing.

M: Decent carbonation, lightish bodied, fairly drinkable.

O: I appreciate the oddness but this beer was really just odd tasting. A lot of must and almost astringent type yeast flavors, slight funk. No balance to the taste. One of my least favorite beers.

May 24, 2013
JISurfer from South Carolina

2.77/5  rDev -15%

Had to try this one, just for the fun of it, and to support a local brewery. I noticed the it was brewed with a good bit of wormwood, hince the "worm" part of earth worm. While I have had absinthe before, I wasn't completely sure what to expect with this. I also read that they used to use wormwood instead of hops in beer, back in Europe. Anyway the smell was the best part for me. Rye, citrus, malts were all present, even with a nice floral hint to it. Unfortunately, the taste was what got me. Initially, it was like most rye beers, but then there was a very long lingering bitterness. Turns out, the bitterness, is the wormwood. I wasn't a huge fan of it, but my grandfather loved it. He couldn't stop talking about it. It's worth a try if you get a chance, but nothing I would get again. Give them props for doing something different though.

May 09, 2012
avalon07 from South Carolina

3.97/5  rDev +21.8%

A: Had this beer on-tap at Gene's Haufbrau, poured into a pint glass. Had a brownish color and a somewhat cloudy texture. There was a small amount foamy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: The rye is definitely evident in the aroma, along with a sweet malty presence.

T: As it was with the aroma, the rye took center stage with the flavor. It's a little off-putting at first, but grows on you. Also had traces citrus and malt, with an earthy quality in the finish.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a crisp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A solidly made, generally drinkable beer.

May 05, 2012