Minor Dementia Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout | Blue & Gray Brewing Co.

good
Minor Dementia Bourbon Barrel Imperial StoutMinor Dementia Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout

Blue & Gray Brewing Co.
Virginia, United States
blueandgraybrewingco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by davidt on 03-16-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.07/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

3.15/5  rDev -13%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Thanks to ZachKelly for hooking me up with this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown that's a bit translucent - appears light for style. Forms a half-finger of light tan head atop low levels of visible carbonation.

S: Some roasted malts and toffee, some bourbon but quite restrained, with vanilla and a bit of chocolate to round things out.

T: Bourbon, oak tannins, lightly toasted malts, toffee and roasted caramel. Finishes with some bourbon heat , malt sweetness and oaky dry tannins.

M: The body is way too light body for an imperial stout - this would be on the thin side for a porter. Has a creamy mouthfeel, relatively low carbonation sensation, and the alcohol heat is noticeable but seems well-integrated.

O: Good flavors, and perfectly drinkable. If the label had said "Bourbon Barrel-Aged Old Ale", I'd be a pretty big fan of this one. But honestly, it's a failure at the stated style. Scores above are for the beer rated for style, and might be a little kind at that - if I tasted this blind with no style listed, probably closer to a 3.75.

1.75/5  rDev -51.7%

1.68/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

Bottled: unk

Pours a dark brown with a solid tan cream head. Smells of sour grapes, vines and some ink. A little alcohol, some dry toasted malts. Flavor is bitter, some leather, more bitterness, reminds me of an infected bottle of Maduro Oatmeal Brown from CCB I had. This is kinda fucked in my opinion. Some bits of soil, but mostly burnt, bitter char character. Medium on full bodied with creamy carb and a dry finish. Can't say I enjoyed this.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at B&G

Poured a very dark brown with a small tan head; minimal retention and lacing. Aroma of dark malts, rum raisin, pretty solid. Tasted pretty decent as well, dark chocolaty malts, more roasty, less sweet, dark dried fruits, notes of bourbon-soaked oak, distant earthy hops. Body was on the heavier side of medium, lower carbonation, some boozy heat was no surprise. Not the best bourbon stout, but still a pleasant surprise from this little brewery.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pint glass at Whole Foods in Vienna

Almost opaque brown with thin lacing

Aroma is not pronounced

Taste is very roasty, almost coffee with some piney bitterness

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout

Overall it is a very good local stout that was very welcome on this February day when the temperature did not reach freezing.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

I picked this one up at a gem of a store in Reston called Market Cellars: http://www.marketcellars.com/. While their selection may not be massive, every beer counts and they have some wicked good stuff there. The beer buyer really knows his stuff!

Served in a snifter... a Cigar City one, to be exact.

A: Poured out an inky black color, with a few bubbles floating around posing as a head. Looks dangerous....

S: This had sort of prune juice infused coconut aroma, balanced out by a very port-like sugar consistency.

T: The part I liked about this was the fact that the coconut/bourbon flair carried through from start to finish... and that finish was rather smooth. The sweetness was kept in check without going overboard. Lots of flavor in every drop!

M: I didn't get any booze at all here, but I guess one can make the case that bourbon is also a booze. This was thick, without being syrupy, and the lacing was splotchy.

O: It seems like a lot of peeps in my area like to bag on Blue & Gray. Why can't they just admit that where they're on, they're really on?!

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This dark beer served up a most impressive sticky lace head with great beige color. Scents of bourbon, plenty of chocolate and twists of the malts carrying the weight give way to a flavor overwhelmed by the nearly contrived bourbon. There was a pleasant chocolate taste as well, but it was still muted by the heat and bourbon. Very little aftertaste, but what was there could be summed up as a sweet bit of whiskey. Overall, this was enjoyable but needs time to cellar.

4.64/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep brown body, some foamy head.

Nose is lovely coconut, light and almost tropical.

Sublime bourbon character with buckets and buckets of coconut. If this is a flavor you seek in bourbon barrel beers, ask for this by name. If not, keep on keepin' on. A bit one-dimensional, but with a slight hop edge at the end to keep it keen. Ample vanilla as well.

Lovely, pleasant mouthfeel.

This is a fantastic release from a small brewery, and the only Blue & Gray I've actually tried.

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes on 01/13/12:
No freshness date; Poured in a pint glass.

A - Half inch of creamy, light tan head; Very dark brown in color with light only coming through along the edges; Scattered patches of lacing

S - Very faint smell of alcohol, which is expected for a big beer such as this; Notes of bourbon, figs, molasses, tobacco, and a bit of tart grapes as well

T - Somewhat sweet and sugary up front with a taste of molasses, figs, grapes, and tobacco; Afterwards and into the aftertaste comes some bitterness with bourbon and oaky tastes and very mellow molasses in the background; A bit of alcohol in the taste

M - Low carbonation; Full bodied; Creamy and smooth mouthfeel with a slightly dry finish; Touch of warmth and burn from the alcohol, but not overwhelming

O - I actually tried this beer on Friday the 13th, and didn't realize until later that the beer was 13% ABV. Was it some sort of sign? Probably not, but fun nonetheless. This was a solid imperial stout that didn't blow me away, but had a good overall smell/flavor. It was a little rough around the edges with the noticeable alcohol, but it definitely succeeded in warming me up from the brutally cold weather outside.

3.42/5  rDev -5.5%

From 22oz bomber to CBS snifter on 1/9/12
*From notes

Vintage 2012, and aged in Bowman Whiskey barrels

A: Lighter in hue then the best in class. It's more of a muddy brown. A hard pour down the center of the glass doesn't produce much of a head: less then a quarter finger. Zero lacing or collar.

S: A bit astringent. Hints of toasted coconut skin, vanilla and a touch of wet cardboard.

T: Damn this is hot. To say the 13% ABV is right out in front would be the understatement of the decade. Rich, charry cocoa hits the mid to finish. The lasting flavor of dark roast coffee grounds is rather intense.

M: This needs a good bit more body to carry the epic amount of alcohol this thing packs. Richer, creamier carbonation and a silkier feel would round this, and afford the beer a complexity it desparately needs.

O: I have fond memories of downing this directly from the bottle while standing line a year ago at the Sexual Chocolate release. In fact I remember liking it signifigantly more then Sexy Cocoa.

But it appears my palate's moved on a bit, as this isn't quite the barrel aged wonder I once thought it to be. It's certainly not bad, it's merely "pretty good", and could use a bit more TLC from the brewmaster.

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

Picked this up at Rick's in Alexandria, VA 2 days ago, $8.49 for a bomber. Heard about it for a while but never had it. Poured into my Bruery tulip.

a - Pours a very dark brown color, almost black, with two fingers of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for several minutes and leaves a ton of lacing on the glass. Looks really great.

s - Smells of vanilla, bourbon, and sour fruits. The smell is very odd and really seems like there is something wrong or infected. It is not necessarily bad, just not what I was expecting at all. Given the 13% ABV, the bourbon and vanilla from the barrels still comes through, but after that it is very fruity, and a tiny bit sour.

t - Tastes of vanilla, bourbon, oak, tropical fruits, fruity malts, caramel malts, sour fruits, and toasted malts. Taste is no where near as sour as the nose, but it is still very fruity. Pretty interesting.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth and a little alcohol warmth.

o - Overall a very interesting beer. After I smelled it, I looked up reviews and it looks like many people who had it in '09 liked it, and a lot of people who had the '10 vintage had similar experiences to me (though theirs' sounded even worse), so I wonder if there is any infection at all, or this is what they are going for? Either way it is an interesting beer, and has a lot more fruit than you would expect. I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but thought the taste was significantly better than the nose.

2.51/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

I'm reviewing this beer for one reason only, and that is to inform the potential purchaser of the beer that this batch is more than likely infected. Aroma is a mix of rich imperial stout flavors and wild ales sour undertones. There is an acrid, thin flavor that is probably the result of a few wild yeast cells in the barrel. Surprisingly, the result is not completely off--the funk is still overwhelmed by the roasted malts, but there is no doubt about it, this beer is an aberration. I taste tart cherries and smoked meats. There sour aftertaste is a bit off-putting. Not one I would drink again. We had nearly a quarter of a bottle left of it after our gang bang BIF tasting.

2.83/5  rDev -21.8%

2010 vintage poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bruery glass. It poured a thinner, dark brown color with a huge bubbly and rocky tan head to it. It's very fizzy and active for the style, which is probably not a good sign.

In the aroma something immediately seems wrong. Instead of the bourbon I get a somewhat sharp and funky sourness to it. I get a lot of cherry to it with a little grape coming through. It actually has an aroma of a pretty decent sour. Not what I expected at all but not half bad.

The taste unfortunately has a sharp, fruity sourness right off the bat. I was disappointed as soon as I tasted it, not because it was bad but because I really wanted a bourbon stout tonight. I get some apple, grape and a bit of cherry to it. Some musty, funky flavors comes through towards the finish along with just a hint of some roasty, bitter and chocolate flavors. It doesn't taste like a bourbon stout at all, but actually tastes like a pretty decent American wild surprisingly. This might be one infected beer I'll finish.

The mouthfeel is very thin for the style and carbonation is very high. Overall I was very disappointed in it as a Bourbon stout but it was actually drinkable as an American wild though. Typically I'd drain pour a beer that was this far sour, but surprisingly it was pretty tasty. It actually reminded me a little of the BA Night Falls from White Birch I tasted last weekend. Seriously, they could make some pretty decent sours with whatever strain got in here. It doesn't excuse the fact that this was supposed to be a barrel aged stout though. Tough beer to score, rating to style I'd give it an awful grade but I actually enjoyed the sour flavors that developed. So take that into consideration in my score, poor version of the style, but decent tasting beer.

3.89/5  rDev +7.5%

Served in a snifter

Thanks to billab914 for sending me my favorite style

This beer pours what appears to be a rather viscous murky dark brown, that when in the snifter can appear black. Under close observation it is far from that. There is no head what so ever to speak of, in fact I fear that this beer may be flat. The aroma however is rather pleasant. Strong bourbon barrel aroma, which includes bourbon, oak, vanilla predominately the bourbon however. The other notes are caramel, brown sugar, and chocolate malt. The taste provides some roasted malts along with a strong bourbon taste, all of which smoothed by the vanilla from the barrel. The mouthfeel while I initially assumed it flat actually does have low volumes of carbonation soluble in the beer. The viscous nature allows it to be smooth, but I still would have liked it to have been more carbonated. This beer has made me buzzed already. I can't believe I attempted it by myself. It's a very good beer, but I'm also fond of the style so take it for what it's worth.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Minor Dementia Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout from Blue & Gray Brewing Co.