Frat Boy Pilsner | Staples Mill Brewing Co.

Staples Mill Brewing Co.
Minnesota, United States
staplesmillbrewingco.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by morimech on 02-11-2012

3.25/5  rDev +52.6%

2.75/5  rDev +29.1%

2.9/5  rDev +36.2%

Golden orange in color, a bit dark for a pils, but alright...The nose is quite heavy on the corn with some grain husk and a hint of bleach. As it sits for a moment, a distinct note of lemon drop candies. Fairly sweet overall on the aroma. The flavor has a surprising bitterness, though it seems a fair amount is from grain. Sweet corn and grain flavors with a touch of water.

1.75/5  rDev -17.8%

1.03/5  rDev -51.6%

Aroma: Smells like a meth lab. Not that I have been to one but if I were to go to a meth lab, it would smell like this. Enough said

Appearance: looks as bad as it smells.

Taste: This is where you enter the meth lab core and snort (or smoke or whatever u do with meth without a high)...It tastes like a chemical waste that a hospital or a pharmaceutical company hauls to the biohazard dumping site. Taste is truely aweful...The aweful chemical bitterness lingers forever...5 forceful sips and down it goes under the sink.

I have had hundreds of kinds of beers in my life and was always a firm believer that no matter how bad a beer is, DO NOT throw it away. Its a sin...But this beer has proved me wrong. I have never had a worse beer in my entire 30 years of life. This beer coming from the Minneapolis St Paul area, is a disgrace to great craft breweries in the twin cities and the whole state of Minnesota.

3.75/5  rDev +76.1%

2.25/5  rDev +5.6%

2.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured a darker shade of gold, hazy, with a thinning head that faded quickly leaving no lace. Smell reminiscent of tomato soup or some type of vegetable purée. I can't place it precisely except it doesn't smell like a pilsner. The taste is slightly lemony, a bit metallic and also slightly grainy and a trace sweet. reminiscent of Coors banquet beer except weaker. That's pretty much it. Not very good. Mouthfeel is under carbonated. I didn't finish it.

1.09/5  rDev -48.8%

ahh..this place won't last long putting out product like this....I've had better home brews from beginner brewers using a kit for the first time to spin out an american cream ale...

Pours a deep oak color that looks inviting although a bit dark for a pilsner....that is the highlight of the beer. That's it.

Little head...no clarity....aroma is like propane or something like that...flavor is weak and off....almost some spoiled eggs....

Tough to remember a "craft" offering this bad in my ten years on this site...The only thing I can recall is the old Jeremiah James series from Cold Spring years ago...this is a slight notch up from that....mainly because it is not quite as "off"..

I still have a wheat beer to try from this place so I'll give them one more chance but not a good start...not a bad start either...a really bad start with me....can't believe an inferior product like this comes from the city of champions (HS FB)

2.35/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a slightly hazy golden color with very little head forming even after an aggresive pour. Some spotty lacing is left down the glass during consumption.

Very timid aroma. A little bit of mineral quality. Maybe sulfer. The very faintest Saaz hop smell.

Very little flavor. One positive of this flavor is that I taste nothing bad either. I certainly expected a very much higher hopped beer. A little bit of a mineral and lemon flavor along with dry, cracker like malt. I think this is weaker flavored than BMC beers for the most part.

Lacks the carbonation of most pale lagers. Do not know if that is by design or a flaw in bottling. The body feels hefty enough and would actually benefit from increased carbonation.

Do not know the purpose of brewing a beer like this. I do not want to pay craft beer prices for a beer more weakly flavored than something from a 30-pack. I will not be revisiting this beer.

Frat Boy Pilsner from Staples Mill Brewing Co.