Toast & Marmalade (collaboration)
Windsor & Eton Brewery

SCORE
n/a
Notes:
3.05/5  rDev 0%

Collaboration between Windsor & Eton and Toast Ale. The latter are described as '...in battle against food waste'
'...up 1/3rd of the malted bread is replaced by surplus bread baked by Waitrose. We add citrus fruit provided by rejuice, who save wonky fruit to produce delicious juices. With oranges and clementines from Rejuice and zesty Admiral hops is a stunning beer and a fun and delicious way to save the planet.
'Bottle conditioned'.

L- Dark orange amber, cloudy, pours with 2mm white head fast receding. Be cautioned, this bottle had rested for a week despite clumps of sediment were within the pour further from the bottom that is typical (IME). Handle/pour veeery carefully if you dislike sediment.
S- I get mild citrus with very mild hints of spice but bread isn't apparent for me.
T- It's not as weird as I feared it might be, I'm surprised I'm not getting clear orange flavours here. What I am getting is something between a quite high hoppy dryness and/or a citric tang. Put another way, blind-tasted I wouldn't guess it had citrus in it, I'd likely conclude it's just an example of a well-hopped hipster beer.
F- It's pretty hoppy-dry, it has body to it too. The overall tang does make it refreshing.
O- Interesting to try, certainly a different recipe though the end result isn't as different as expected versus a more orthodox recipe. I have finished the bottle, though I've found little reason why I'd wish to buy it again.
Bought from Waitrose (in London) £1.10/330ml bottle BB: 01/09/2020