Beer 2019 Barrel Aged Brut Imperial Pilsner

n/a
Notes:
View: Beers
3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled in a nice dark glass affair and was the princely sum of £9 from Waitrose for 500ml
Pours a wheat coloured body with decent enough white head
Aroma is juicy fruit chewing gum
Slightly bitter slightly fruity
Probably ages well, fresh it’s in bed with Madonna ‘nice’

3.99/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Finding info on this beer was a challenge, it's not even listed/described on the brewery's website!
Google yielded up that it's 2018 namesake was the Winner of the 'Strong' category of the World Beer Awards. For more info on what that category covers a reader might seek out the WBA site and look for Officialstyleguide2019.pdf

Bought from Waitrose. When I visit there I quickly scan the beer aisle for anything that's new to me. I was surprised to see this one appear this week. It didn't have a price marked on it or the shelf 'Ah but it's 11% and looks pretty special' I thought. Even then my eyes popped to see it get scanned through at £9.00. I hope it's good; I have a lot 'invested' in this one.
L- Quite rich golden amber. Very slight haze (thin layer of sediment left accreted to the bottom of the bottle). Pours with 3mm white head.
S- There's a mild fruity note. I might have a touch of congestion as I'd expect to get some more from an 11.0%
T- Quite rich, fruity, zesty (briefly), wine-like, then 3 seconds later - boom! - a fast and notably pungent ABV% hit on the palate. Exact same on the 2nd mouthful, and so on....
F- Quite 'broad-spectrum' for 11%, ie much more than a mono-dimensional sledge-hammer. Bright, a vinious zest, a great deep meaty body, then boom! liquorish ABV% on the tongue
O- Certainly different. Perhaps a good pick to have with your festive dinner. I've been rather unconvinced to date about beer aged in wine or brandy barrels, after all the old maxim 'Grape or grain, but never the twain' exists for a reason. But IMO this beer masters it, and it might be in that high ABV% flourish into the finish; that is liquor-ish and it fast overtakes the prev. wine-like notes that remain on the palate.
Would I drink it again - Hell yes if someone else was buying it for me.
500ml bottle £9.00 @ Waitrose London. BB End Nov-2020