Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tattooed Monk | 3 Floyds Brewing Co.

4.25/5

Added by philberinghele on 06-09-2008

4.25/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.38/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Hefeweizen glass at Three Floyds 7/1/08.

A: Served the color of dark black tea. Very dark with faint cola brown highlights at the edges. Typical weizen-type head; 2 1/2 or 3 finger head poking up over the rim of the glass with great retention.

S: I actually found it difficult to get much of a nose out of it at first. As it warmed, it became more expressive. I took away clove and sauteed banana.

T: Delicious flavors of banana, toasted clove, spices, and finishing up with with the perfect amount of lemon-y/citrus hops.

M: Very smooth and creamy with a dry and fruity tang during the middle and finish.

D: This was my first experience with a Black Hefeweizen and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Extremely drinkable.

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this one on tap at 3 Floyds 6-11-08

A: Pours black with dark brown peaking around edges

S: Faint smell of banana

T: Nice balance of sweet and bitter. Very restrained on the sweet. Light roasted carmel banana with bittering finsih

M: Smooth somewhat creamy. Nice bittering palate cleaning at back end.

D: Goes down very easy. Nicely balanced and smooth. I could drink a few of these.

While I like this style it is not my favorite but this 3 Floyd twist definetely peaked my interest.

4.68/5  rDev +10.1%

This is the first Black Hefeweizen I've ever had. Is this even a style? The bartender didn't know much about it or how it was made, just that it had been put on tap a couple of days before.

It pours a sold black stout-like color with a typical hefeweizen head. There is a murky banana smell to it that you'd expect from any hefeweizen. The sweetness was definitely restrained and given the humid midwestern summer day, I was definitely in the mood to drink a couple gallons of this stuff.

Tattooed Monk from 3 Floyds Brewing Co.