DAGDA Strong Irish Red Ale | The New Old Lompoc

Style: Irish Red Ale

Availability: Spring

Added by RedDiamond on 03-23-2007

2.98/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I had a 16 oz pint at the 5th Quadrant in Portland. Reddish amber color, thin head that laced into ribbons across the top of the beer. The malt flavor hit me right away., and it tasted like a mix of whiskey & coffee in my opinion. Not much smell-wise. Malty/earthy, very flat. There was a slight bitterness to the finish, but the beer was still easily quaffable. Low ABV would make it a decent afternoon beer. Not one I would order regularly tho.

2.32/5  rDev -20.8%

Taken from notes on 3.17.11

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Reddish amber in color with a thin tan head that is gone almost instantly.

S - Smells of whiskey and malts.

T - Tastes like really bad whiskey. And I like the stuff.

D - Bitter, boozy, and gritty in the mouth.

O - The taste was so bad I dumped it.

4.18/5  rDev +42.7%

A clear red ale of deep vermillion color wearing a top hat of determined foam, DAGDA is a special release in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. It has a boggy taste like some exotic swamp flower with a welcome measure of juicyfruit and perhaps a touch of peat. The effect is engaging if not quirky, but it is a true pleasure to drink. It’s also a bit difficult to categorize, though I’d welcome further opportunities to try.

I have no knowledge of the name’s reference, but I’m convinced it does NOT describe the tuning of a banjo.

DAGDA Strong Irish Red Ale from The New Old Lompoc