Aslan | The New Old Lompoc

The New Old Lompoc
Oregon, United States
newoldlompoc.com

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by John_M on 01-01-2010

2.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Oak Bottom location today. Really was not impressed with the seasonals I had there today. Also, the beer is described as a Belgian Gold in style, but it tasted more like a Belgian IPA. In any event...

The beer pours a fairly dark gold color with fair at best head retention and lacing. The nose is fairly attractive in this beer, consisting of honey, butter, some citrus and a fair amount of spice. On the palate, this beer is just not working for me. It really tastes as if the brewer was trying to make a hoppy Belgian IPA, but whatever hops he used just don't go well with the recipe. The beer starts of fairly sweet, but then there is a rush of tobacco, earth and pepper from the hops. The combination is just not working for me. Mouthfeel is OK I guess, and the beer isn't too boozy. However, the "off" flavors really detract from the beer's drinkability, and ultimately I gave up on this beer and went for a glass of tried and true C-note (which was excellent as always). Not a winner from New Old Lompoc I'm afraid.

Aslan from The New Old Lompoc