Merlot Barrel Fermented Dark Side Porter | The New Old Lompoc

newoldlompoc.com

Style: American Porter

Added by Arbitrator on 04-20-2010

2.32/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Sidebar. From notes. Thanks for the ride, Frank!

A: Pours a dark, translucent ruby-black body. Light film of tan head; it retains well but leaves no lacing.

S: Very, very vinous. This was ages for 2 months in Merlot barrels, which is how I knew the varietal (I'm not a wine fan), but it's quite obvious that wine was involved. Quite tannic, with a strong chocolate presence. Light coffee.

T: Dark, bitter chocolate is dominant as the beer is cold. Oak comes out as well. As it warms, roast/coffee develops in the finish, and the merlot taste really begins to overpower the beer. I find myself getting tired of the strong flavor pretty quickly.

M: Chewy, full-bodied flavor. A little heat to the beer.

D: I couldn't even finish the glass. The merlot influence is way too strong.

Merlot Barrel Fermented Dark Side Porter from The New Old Lompoc