Spring Bock

n/a
Notes:
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
3.52/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draught at Bailey's, served in an imperial pint, Lompoc's Spring Bock is a unusually dark, chestnut brown with a small off-white head leaving light, foamy lace. The color alone turned me off as it was not what I was in the mood for or expect from the style.

Smell is faintly sweet, a touch of lemon meringue. There is a faint sweet tart note as well.

Taste is more in line with the appearance, with a distinct cocoa note, although there is still that hint of lemon as well. I honestly like the combo, it even suits my mood seasonably, but is nevertheless much maltier than I expect for a maibock. There's a touch of solvent to the alcohol that could stand to be tidied up.

Mouthfeel is drying from the alcohol, malty and medium bodied (but lighter than it looks).

Drinkability is tricky. Not at all the pale, crisp, herbal mai bock I expected. But the flavor combo of slightly chocolate and lemon, along with the drying body, worked well and went down easily. Still a touch dirty on the fusels, but by and large, a nice beer, if more bock than mai bock. My rating bias was most stylistic for the appearance...

Spring Bock from The New Old Lompoc