Native/Wild Barrel Select: 89

From:
Oxbow Brewing Company

Maine, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Native/Wild Barrel Select: 89, is an unblended version of our spontaneously-fermented ale aged for 14 months in a single French red wine barrel, followed by an additional 10 months of bottle-conditioning.
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
4.72/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Picked up day of release. Consumed 11-26-17. Noticed no slight snip of air when I pulled off the cap, and no pop whatsoever when i pulled the cork

A: Subtle flat finger of head. Dissipates quicky. Amber hazy hue.

S: grassy, lemony, tons of hay/barnyard. Signature Oxbow mustiness.

T: Just lovely. Very similar profile to the original version. The green apple skin that I so immediately tasted doesn't jump out to me in this variation. There is an increased tartness, and a subtle spiciness to it. Like cloves or star anise...cider spices.

F: Flat! I've popped 4 of these corked Oxbow Native Wilds so far...two of them have been nicely carbonated, two have not. Odd.

O: Just awesome. I'm not bothered by the flatness...It's lambic afterall. But I have noticed that the bottles that have "popped" when I pull the cork out have had a noticeable effervescence that I miss in the bottles that do not. Bubbly or flat, doesn't really matter too much in the end. Delicious either way.

Native/Wild Barrel Select: 89 from Oxbow Brewing Company