Lazy Dog Hefeweizen | Bayhawk Ales

3.4/5

Bayhawk Ales
bayhawkales.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by DoubleJ on 08-11-2008

Reviews by TruePerception:
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.56/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

On-tap at Lazy Dog Cafe in Irvine

A: The beer itself is a fairly decent looking one: hazy golden in color with a nice white head on top. However, the beer is served with a slice of lemon--penalty flag there.

S: The nose is what I feared: tart wheat and lemon with a bit of a cereal note.

T: The flavor is grainy and heavy on the wheat with that same lemony tartness. There is a slight toasted flavor which is about the only redeeming quality of the beer. I suppose if I squeezed the lemon in there, it could have been a "sour".

M: The body is medium with a moderate carbonation. One of the better aspects of the beer.

D: I don't understand why American breweries insist on not only making this style of beer, but also calling it a "hefeweizen". I didn't even finish my taster of this.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the "house brews" for Lazy Dog Cafe, on to the beer:

The color is a bit darker than straw and fairly filtered, with a soapy head on top. My pint was served with a lemon wedge, but it was discarded within seconds of receiving it. Nonetheless, all I could think of was variant degrees of lemon flavors in my beer. Lemonhead candy, sour lemon, fresh sqeezed lemon, lemonade. Even on my last sips, I was getting these lemon flavors. Toasted wheat makes an appearance as the beer dries up.

I don't know how much ten seconds of lemon garnish in the beer affects its taste, but this turned out to be a surprise for me.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%