Slammin' Salmon Double India Pale Ale

SCORE
Very Good
Slammin' Salmon Double India Pale AleSlammin' Salmon Double India Pale Ale
Notes: Formerly Steelhead Double India Pale Ale
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

3.69 by Taphouse_Traveler from Florida on Oct 20, 2021

3.91 by LesDewitt4beer from Minnesota on Oct 13, 2021
4.61/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75
by monkist from Hungary

The story starts with the fact that I haven’t really had an IPA for quite some time now. I am telling you this because for the last five years, I had nothing BUT IPAs - and I’m not really exaggerating here, check my beer history in BA if you don’t believe me. But in the last year and half, partly due to the scarcity of imported beers from the US here in Japan, I’ve been having less and less of them.
Even this Mad River, I’ve had this for quite some time now and been keeping it for “the right moment” to open it - and for some reason I thought tonight was one. What I managed to find out was the brewery bejng from NorCal, almost near to the Oregon border, made me think of Lost Coast and even Anderson Valley that I used to like so much back in the day. I expected this beer to be in the vein of those, big nature, Yosemite, Sierra beers. But I was wrong.
The beer looked amazing and the aroma just fantastic. Very hard to pinpoint it but I would say pine and earth were its dominant aspects. And when I took a sip...
Man, this beer took me back. Took me back down South, to be honest. It did not taste anything like those beers from NorCal. It tasted very SoCal, what’s even more, very San Diego, and even more, almost down there by the border. Very much like the Desert Southwest. I think it was very similar to the Citracado IPA made by Stone for their Anniversary, made with Avocado flower honey. So I hope you got the picture: amazingly piney, earthy and resinous and full of excitement. The aroma has been very intense all the way and it brought back all those memories from a few years ago.
For me this beer was like a time travel. Back to the “good old days” and was also an eye opener - no matter if I can’t get all the beers I want right now, there will always be a time to do it again. Because those beers welcome you back all the time and they can give you back that same old, great feeling.
What a beer!

Aug 07, 2020
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%
by GuyFawkes from Illinois

From old, undated notes. Poured from the bottle. This was called "Steelhead Double IPA" when I had it.

Murky orange color.

White head; a curtain of lace.

Subtle orange citrus smell.

Medium mouthful.

Pleasant citrus flavor; a touch too bitter.

Nice if inessential.

Oct 12, 2019
3.79/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by patre_tim from Thailand

Amber with slow rising carbonation, and 4 fingers of sticky, light beige head.

Smells of malts, with little citrus and pine.

The taste is sweet and malty, with a little citrus, and very little pine.

Medium, sticky body with little carbonation.

I got this in Roseville, and am drinking it in Redding, July 19, 2019.

Jul 20, 2019

4.03 by IDABEERGUY from Idaho on Jul 03, 2017

3.87 by Dillinger from Mississippi on May 27, 2017
3.84/5  rDev +1.3%
by TheRougeBastard from North Carolina

Also known as "Steelhead D/IIPA"...purchased a 12oz bottle from WOB...no date on the bottle so in my opinion, by the "barleywine-esqe" taste, it was past 120 days (IMHO the drop-dead date for freshness date for an D/IIPA). Now that being said, if it were labeled as an barleywine, my ratings would be much higher if it were, however, as labeled...I'll leave it as is.

May 21, 2017

3.89 by Jodio from Texas on Feb 03, 2017

4.1 by TripelMark from North Carolina on Dec 06, 2016

4.27 by robebo44 from Virginia on Nov 27, 2016
3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75
by rodbeermunch from Nevada

Good citrus orange colored glow to the beer, smallish 1/4" white head on top. Aroma hits the wooden malt and citrus hop notes. Tad bit of sweetness.

Taste, big beer, one of the bigger ones still available in 6 pack format. There is a bunch of crystal malt here. Hops aren't taking back seat either, mostly of the C hop variety I surmise. Its a little bit sticky and thick. Alcohol is there, but not pronounced. Good format, worthy beer.

Oct 24, 2016

4.16 by dbarny76 from Oklahoma on Sep 05, 2016

4.03 by Jcarter1221 from Oklahoma on Aug 31, 2016
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75
by DucksFan16 from Tennessee

07/30/2016

Jul 31, 2016
3.86/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by Skrumpy from Oregon

Deep orange,amber color. Head was thin, & dissipated quickly. Not much lacing. Aroma is sweet malt, orange, and bread. Flavor is malty, with a bit of citrus and pine. Resinous mouthfeel and smooth finish. Excellent beer overall

Jul 11, 2016

3.44 by Wisconsin_IPA_Lover from Wisconsin on May 02, 2016

3.84 by icemanls4 from Switzerland on Apr 13, 2016

3 by MasterRigger from North Carolina on Apr 03, 2016

3.16 by casapy from Idaho on Apr 01, 2016
3.7/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75
by FLima from Brazil

Hazy amber orange color with a fluffy beige head with medium retention.
Aroma with notes of piney resin, caramel malt, grapefruit and oranges.
Flavor with notes of grapefruit, tangerine, toasted malts, lots of resin, pine, mango, wheat and caramel malts, cantaloupe melon and apricot. Long dry and bitter aftertaste. Despite its 95 IBUs it is rather rounded.
Medium body with appropriate carbonation. Alcohol of 8.6% is well hidden.
Solid DIPA full of smooth citrusy and resiny hops. Not very complex, but not shallow. I liked the fact that is not a heavy DIPA with the usual sin to be overly sweet. I feel I could have a few, though at 8.6% abv, it could have got me in trouble. It lacked aroma, not sure how young is this exemplar.

Mar 21, 2016