Black Forest H.E. Double Hockey Sticks Helles Lager | Black Forest Brew Haus

blackforestbrewhaus.com

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by Gmann on 08-28-2011

3.11/5  rDev 0%

A - Golden pour with a white foam that has a soapy look. Very clear, and minimal lacing.

S - Scent is fragrant, but minimal. Has a slight astringent smell that I'm guessing is not meant to be there.

T - Fresh grainy flavor. I got a bit of a cinnamon graham cracker flavor. A dash of earthy spice in the ifnish.

M - Easy drinking, but the flavor after a while seemed bland. Could be the taste buds are fried, but I didn't find much lasting flavor as I drank this.

O - Interesting german style, and nothing terrible about drinking this. I just felt it wasn't a standout for the style.

3.11/5  rDev 0%

Pours a slightly hazy straw color with a wispy white head that settles into a light cap with some sticky lacing.

The beer doesn't have much, if any, aroma. There is a slight fruitiness to it but that is about it. I was hoping for a bit of a munich malt aroma.

The flavor is better. There is a crackery/bready malt coupled with a grassy dry hop. Again, not much of a munich malt presence. Tastes very much like a pils. Hmmm, hopefully the gave me the right beer. Quite dry.

Moderate feel with fizzy carbonation, drinks extremely well. Its very crisp with a grassy hop bitterness which doesn't linger too long.

The beer is very good but misses on the style completely, so I rated as such. I am curious to see if they gave me their Pils instead of the Helles. Will need to re-order a draft to comfirm. I will update if necessary.

Black Forest H.E. Double Hockey Sticks Helles Lager from Black Forest Brew Haus