Stout | Sheepscot Valley Brewing Company

StoutStout

Sheepscot Valley Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: American Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by deltatauhobbit on 02-02-2008

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 7
Reviews by evanackerman:
3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured out of a growler, dark near-black appearance with minimal head for a stout.

Aroma is chocolate and roasted grain, pretty nice.

Taste is roasted barley, bitter hops,

mouthfee is much more effervescent than most stouts I have tasted, a bit too much carbonation for my taste.

Overall, an enjoyable beer with room for improvement, i am not unhappy that I have a whole growler full. worth a try.

3.86/5  rDev +4.6%

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Bought the growler at Downeast Beverage in Portland. All that is labeled on the growler is "Stout".

Pours a dark brown, almost black color, I couldn't see any hues when held up to the light. Small tan head, strong pour gives a slightly larger head, fades fast though, leaves no lacing.

Strong malty aroma, roasted, some coffee hints.

Taste is initially and unusually bitter, creamy yet thin tasting for a stout. Coffee tones are very prevalent and strong. Decent carbonation level for a growler. Seems more like a porter than a stout.

After warming up outside of the fridge for a bit, a licorice and root beer scent/taste begins to come through, quite interesting.

3.26/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Poured deep dark brown, not quite black, practically no head at all, very faint line of lacing.
S-slightly sweet, roasty aroma. faint hint of dark chocolate.
T-Nice balance between bitter and sweet, roasty, almost a hint of smoke. traces of coffee and chocolate.
M- average thin-ish stout consistency, carbonation is perhaps a bit high.
D-overall a tasty, easy drinking stout. seems to be fairly low a.b.v., so I could see myself finishing off the whole growler quite easily. Nothing fancy, but I like it.

Picked this up at RSVP on 10/30, consumed 10/31
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a deep dark opaque brown with a two finger of mocha colored head. Head recedes at a moderate pace with not much lacing to speak of.

S: Nose is roasted malts, chocolate, and toffee.

T: Taste starts nice and sweet - toffee and caramel malts. A light but prominent roastiness comes in. Finish is tons of mixed milk and dark chocolate.

M: Lighter side of medium body, moderate carbonation, crisp, clean feel.

D: Goes down easily, mild kick, decent representation of style, this is a stout that isn't much of a "wow" you beer but a nice one to sit with on football, football, Sunday.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.49/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was quite excited to try this growler bottled beer-- especially hand labeled "Stout".

Poured as a nice dark brown almost black color.

Created a short lived energetic head composed of coarse bubbles that seemed to "work" as it receded from whence it came.

Half hearted attempt at lacing the glass.

No nose that I could detect- my first disappointment.

The flavor- I guess I'll classify this beer as a "light stout". If I were blindfolded I swear I'm drinking a pale ale. There really isn't much in the way of stout character to this beer. It has a watery consistency- with a bit of hops and a whisper of toasted malt way way in the background.

The finish is quick but not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is somewhat effervescent but not unkind to my palate

Drinkability is what I call above average probably because of what seems like a low ABV.. I've enjoyed a third of the growler and with many stouts I've tried I'd be feeling like the malt-- toasty...

I bet this beer would make a refreshing summertime drink served cold. Overchilling this beer won't detract from it's meager flavor and if I'm right-- it's light ABV would not take its toll as a thirst quencher.

Nevertheless there's a lot of room for improvement as a "stout"..

Still-- well worth a try. It is an enjoyable drink.

Stout from Sheepscot Valley Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.