Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Blackberry Hefeweizen | Phillips Brewing Company

Style: Hefeweizen

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2008

2.72/5  rDev 0%

My girlfriend was with me when I bought this one and even she doesn't usually go for fruit beers, but since it was blackberries and we were in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, BC) we got this along with their Hazelnut Brown, which was delicious.

It was a bit too berry-y for us and the friends we shared this with. But my main beef is that they call this a hefeweizen, meaning an unfiltered wheat beer, and yet, on the list of ingredients, it listed blackberries, water, hops, yeast, and... malted barley? Hey, hosers, where's the wheat?

You should try everything once. But this is only a beer for those who only like fruit beers.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Blackberries are always hit and miss with alcohol...and Phillips was more hit than miss.

Strange purple-amber colour that is coupled with a purple-tinged white head.

Fruity, grassy smell with some sweet malt traces. I also detect a certain raspberry presence to it. This is also reflected in the taste, though I can definitely taste the blackberries, along with a wheaty taste with some faint grassy notes.

Decent carbonation, and nice to drink but the aftertaste is quite sour. I feel this is just a hazard of using blackberries, as its very difficult to get it right without any detractors.

Blackberry Hefeweizen from Phillips Brewing Company