First Anniversary Ale | Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Style: American Stout

Added by VaTechHopHead on 05-28-2013

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 26
3.54/5  rDev -15.1%

Been saving this one for a special occasion... So here we go:
A: Pours a fairly light red color, in the glass it is dark black with a good amount of tan head.

S: Oak and vanilla right up front. Light fruit, with berries coming later and a hit of molasses in the finish.

T: Rich and malty with a fruit kicker. Big molasses up front with oak and vanilla, this is followed by a light berry flavor. The finish is light fruit, and toasty caramel, perhaps a touch of burnt coffee. Not a lot of alcohol flavor considering the abv.

M: Medium thick is body, with fairly high carbonation. While the body feels fairly thick, the finish of this beer seems fairly thin to me, I wish it had a little more creaminess to the finish.

O: Decent flavor, although I think the the sum of the parts may not be as strong as just brewing a beer with these flavors. I think the blackberry ale thins out the beer without adding enough fruit character, while the malt and barrel run over much of what the blackberry might have brought to the party. I think this beer could have been better if it was brewed as a blueberry impy stout then aged in barrels. It's a good beer, and definitely something that could sneak up on you.

I was fortunate enough to snag a couple of bottles of this, and the first one was so incredibly good I do not know how long I can resist aging the next.

I wasn't a huge fan of the HPCB fruit beers, but the blackberry was the best one. It paired perfectly with the stout, which I am a huge fan of as well.

Good luck find this one, but if you do don't pass up on it. It might be my favorite beer from them, and I have had them all... a lot...

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was very skeptical before trying this beer due to the unique blend: 40% 2011 barrel-aged milk stout, 40% 2012 barrel-aged milk stout, 20% blackberry wit beer. Blending 2 very dissimilar styles threw me for a loop.

But to my surprise the beer was very pleasant. There was a very noticeable wood character but not too oaky/vanilla flavored like normal bourbon barrels, more or a robust light char character. The beer started off with that rich wood flavor and quickly moved to a stout-infused blackberry character with the fruit tasting very ripe and rich, not like a fruit flavoring additive. There was a wisp of booze right at the finish but it was mostly a combination of fruit and light wood/bourbon notes.

A complex/unique beer for sure and very easy to drink for 11%